Author Topic:  feeling electric [tag; gabrielle]  (Read 372 times)

• Offline Gabrielle Delacour
    • everybody loves pretty, everybody loves cool
    • VANNAH
    • 696 Posts
    • Trophy Closet
      Jenny's Holiday 2016 Prize Vannah's FPP Sapphire Reward Jenny's FPP Sapphire Reward Participated at the Academy Athena July/August 2000 This member reached the Diamond level before July 2015!
    Re: feeling electric [tag; gabrielle]
    « Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 04:03:06 PM »
    Absolutely not

"Ouch, my pride," Gabrielle commented swiftly, a gentle half-smile appearing on her lips for a moment. She half-listened to his reasoning, but couldn't help but let her thoughts wander parallel to his words. The blonde had always thought her dark-haired friend had a thing for her. She basically separated those who hung around her into two categories; those who wanted the things she had, like popularity or good looks; and those who wanted parts of her. Her body. Her lips. Her love. Boys almost always fell into the latter category. It wasn't presumptuous of her at all; it was just how things had been for several years now.

Raphael, she quietly thought, fell somewhere in the middle. On nights like this, where the sky stretched out above her like a sheet and the world was ethereal in its silence and stillness, it was almost easy to forget that everyone wanted something. Raphael couldn't simply be here for her - whatever that meant - but right now it sort of felt like he could. Lying on her back, Gabrielle's view of the sky took on a strangely infinite quality that made her feel sort of small in a way that wasn't entirely bad. The air was dewy and the temperature pleasant; it was as if someone had paused a slice of time and placed the pair in it. The stars, the moon... It all painted a picture with soft edges and gentle strokes.

Something about the atmosphere reminded her of a night at the carnival with Klaus. It certainlt wasn't the company; Klaus and Raphael might share a particular character flavour or timbre that she felt uneasy comparing, but for the most part the boys were worlds apart. It wasn't the environment either; the stillness of her current setting did not match the raucous and gimmicky noises of the carnival at all. There was simply some element that she couldn't quite shake.

Gabrielle tried not to think about that night all that much. For the most part, she'd rewritten it exactly as she'd explained it to her boyfriend at the time. In quiet moments like this, however, she remembered the sweeping sort of sense of nostalgia and an unspoken wish to let down walls previously upheld. Perhaps that was it - the secret wish to be unguarded.

You already know how mesmerising you can be on occasion

Gabrielle felt goosebumps rise on her shoulders, though she couldn't pinpoint exactly why. Yes, she was mesmerising. Yes, she knew it. "Probably," she agreed, only half committing to a response. She disagreed that he wasn't her type, though. He was older, quite charming in some ways. Different to Rainer or Max or Adrien; probably more Ombrelune than any of them, but still not exactly not her type. She supposed he didn't really know much about Klaus. Gabrielle remained serenely quiet through his next few sentences too; his descriptions of cracks showing in families was all too familiar and she felt that if she spoke about it she might raise more imaginary walls that would be difficult to bring down.

"Friendship on fire," she repeated thoughtfully. Her comment about love being Shakespearean had sounded more naive than she'd intended when she'd said it out loud, but she appreciated that he didn't treat her as such. After he finished speaking, she tilted her chin and shifted her gaze from the stars above them both to look at him. Her silvery eyes traced the outline of his profile before settling to meet his own honey-coloured ones. "You've never felt anything like that?" she asked, injecting enough of a teasing tone into her words to make them acceptable to ask a friend in the middle of the night. "No sparks, no flames?" she continued the metaphor comfortably.

• Offline Raphael Moreau
    • 0.3 seconds
    • S
    • Heterosexual
    • 27 Posts
    « Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 03:52:31 PM »

"You'll survive," Raphael told her with a slow smile. He didn't think this was her fault, any of it. Not her good looks or her popularity or how people treated her. She wasn't cruel, she'd never been cruel. The fact that she had no many enemies both alarmed and amused him. He assumed it was borne from jealousy or rejection and he absently wondered how many boys would kill to be in his position right now.

"Humble, too," he added lightly. His tone was pleasant and he didn't accuse her. He wasn't sure if Gabrielle knew how much he did behind the scenes for her. He didn't expect payment or praise, he just wanted to keep her safe. It was coming up to Christmas, a time that was busy and stressful and she'd be inundated with offers. He wondered if that Maximillien boy would try and pull another shot into getting her back.

Rafe didn't think he was jealous. He thought that Gabrielle could do better. He didn't want to be part of the "in crowd". He didn't want the girl's popularity. He was more than content to make sure she got the letters and gifts that weren't going to pose any sort of danger to her. He also had a full book stuffed with letters that had been handed to him. Everyone assumed he'd taken on some sort of secretarial role for her.

With a yawn, he shrugged casually as he folded his hands behind his head to make a makeshift pillow. "Don't think so," he told her honestly. He thought briefly of Minnie as he spoke. He found her attractive and he was sure he was forming a crush but it wasn't like he was willing to die for her or anything. Rafe was careful not to meet her eye as he watched the stars, despite being acutely aware of her eyes on the side of his face.

"It's not really my style," he joked easily. Raphael was one of those lanky, moody boys, the type that dress well and hang around in independent coffee shops. He had no interest in falling in love and his carefully constructed persona made sure people were kept at arms' length. "It seems messy," he told Gabrielle truthfully. "It just seems like people lose their minds. If it goes wrong, you get destroyed. I just don't think it's worth the risk."

That much was true. He'd never been the type of person to want to fall in love and be married. It wasn't for him. If it happened, it would happen but he was resisting it. He was sure, however, that that wasn't what she'd wanted to hear. She dated a lot but her relationships were brief. He assumed she'd gotten bored. He respected that Gabrielle wasn't the type of woman to stay in a dead end relationship, "just in case" her partner might change for the better.

"I've extinguished a few, if that's what you're hinting at," Raphael commented as the gently breeze ruffled his dark locks. Everyone was so obsessed with her; with what she did, who she dated, what she was wearing. In comparison to her, the older boy thought he must be some sort of walking enigma for her. "I can't imagine I'm the type to incite passion in a lady," he added with a wrinkled nose as though the thought repulsed him. "I'm not easy to deal with, you know that. I just think a lot of people are holding out for this sort of thing but love's not always grand gestures. It can be little things. Quiet things. I'm not one for making a fool of myself."

"But no," he finally added. "No all-consuming, death-defying, life long flame-y trysts. I take it your Maximilien was a metaphorical fireman for you?" He asked with a smile, unable to keep up the pretence for much longer. Failed relationships were not fun but her former boyfriend did some ridiculous shit and he was going to miss the spectacle.

Turning his head, he saw something out of the corner of his eye. "Oh look," Rafe exclaimed, actually sounding excited. "A shooting star. Quick, make a wish."

• Offline Gabrielle Delacour
    • everybody loves pretty, everybody loves cool
    • VANNAH
    • 696 Posts
    • Trophy Closet
      Jenny's Holiday 2016 Prize Vannah's FPP Sapphire Reward Jenny's FPP Sapphire Reward Participated at the Academy Athena July/August 2000 This member reached the Diamond level before July 2015!
    « Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »
    Gabrielle ignored his humble comment; he wasn't being mean. Gabrielle wasn't humble. She never had been. Humble was a face she wore to please certain types of people who expected such a trait from a young woman who seemed to have so much. It was something she portrayed when she thought that it might benefit her. Such things became so obvious under moonlight surrounded by strangely simulated intimacy that only came out late at night. Most of the time she didn't think in such frank ways. Absentmindedly, Gabrielle traced the outline of his profile against the dark night, suddenly aware - again - of how this might look to a teacher or a prefect who found them out of bed in the middle of the night. He was handsome, she thought. Despite his protest to the contrary, it wouldn't be so far-fetched to imagine them together.

"I don't know if it was that bad," Gabrielle commented with the light tone of a laugh in her voice. "I mean, it was nice. The sex was good." Better than she'd thought it would be, if she were honest. She'd heard all kinds of rumours, but it hadn't been as big a deal for her as it obviously was for some. She could find no faults with her first real lover. He'd made her feel safe and feminine and pretty. She enjoyed the ease with which he chased away any feelings of loneliness. But if they were talking about passion - as it seemed that they were - then perhaps she hadn't answered completely honestly. It wasn't exactly friendship on fire as he'd called it.

"I don't think I loved him," she answered softly, surprising herself with her honesty. Seven months together and she hadn't felt swept away or breathless - at least not in anything other than the literal sense. She liked Max, but when they'd been tangled up together, her hair messy and their lips close, and he'd told her he'd loved her, she'd just kissed him as a response. A small part of her hoped that she hadn't been in love with him. If that was all love was, then it was something of a disappointment. Other parts of her dismissed all of this as some kind of out-of-character fancy. Blame it on the moon, or the night sky. She was too young to be so jaded and too jaded to think about such frivolous things as love.

I'm not one for making a fool of myself, he'd said. That made sense. It was very Raphael. In a way it was very her, too. The pair were more similar than they might first appear on the surface. The blonde barely moved, but her large grey eyes flicked in the direction he was looking as she caught the last moment of a fading shooting star. Or a meteor, she supposed. Gabrielle remembered learning that the two things were the very same and being disappointed that stars didn't simply shoot. "What did you wish for?" she asked teasingly, looking at him again before he looked at her. The blonde offered another gentle smile.

• Offline Raphael Moreau
    • 0.3 seconds
    • S
    • Heterosexual
    • 27 Posts
    « Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 09:10:13 PM »
    At the comment about her having sex, Raphael grimaced. He hadn't meant to. Gabrielle was free to sleep with whomever she wanted, whenever she wanted but it didn't mean that he wanted to hear all the gory details. The reaction was some sort of knee-jerk one and he hated it. He hated letting his emotions show anyway but even more so around her. There was something about her. She had this peculiar way of catching a glance that wasn't meant for her.

"Well, I'm absolutely thrilled you were satisfied," came the clipped response. Despite it not being Gabrielle's fault, Raphael felt an usual and ugly spurt of jealousy and anger towards her that stemmed from a dark place. She dated most of her friends and her housemates, Maximilien and Adrien and a careful few others. Why hadn't she shown any interest in him? There had been plenty of opportunities for them to flirt more and touch but no. He didn't think the concept of a "friend zone" was real but he felt like he was suddenly right in the middle of it.

Without realising, he sighed audibly and in frustration at the night sky. The stars were unusually bright that night, dotted around the inky black sky like a million friendly lanterns. He was mad at her and he didn't know why. He didn't want to date her, he wasn't even sure he liked her half of the time but she was making it clear that he was not a viable option. He didn't want to be the person she spoke candidly about sex with. Though no stranger to it, he wasn't particularly comfortable with chatting about it. Especially not with her.

Rafe looked over at her sharply, his eyes wide in surprise at her confession. "Yikes," he said softly though he couldn't help but feel is anger dissipate and it be replaced by something that felt rather smug. He knew Gabrielle. He really knew her. Raphael knew that she preferred lilies to roses, he knew that constant attention could get overwhelming for her at times. She liked people to adore her but for it not to get messy. She wanted things on her town terms, she liked being in control. It wasn't Maximilien's fault that he was a little bit vanilla.

"I'm sorry," he ventured gently, unsure of what to say. Did she feel like she wasted her time with Maximilien? Was that why she was being so honest? Raphael was a selfish young man. It was on the tip of his tongue to tell her to go back to him, to try again to make sure, if that was would make her happy. On the other hand, he had a lot of confusing feelings towards the idea of her dating. Of course he wanted her settled and happy but the idea of her being settled and happy with anyone but him made a  bad taste stick in his mouth.

But that was Gabrielle Delacour. She was vexing, to say the least. Raphael didn't know where he stood with her, so he kept his distance. He didn't want to become a talking point over the dinner table for her and her friends. No lines had been crossed, they'd never been anything more than cordial. But she was in his head, always there, digging away at his subconscious. Of course, it was a complete coincidence that she'd started wearing light blue more often, the colour he liked her in the most. Or that she was alone more, offering him time to come to her and chat. It almost felt like she was orchestrating this whole thing, tugging at his feelings, twisting and turning them with skill. Sometimes, he honestly thought he hated her.

The star was gone in a flash, streaking across the sky and disappearing. Rafe closed his eyes briefly and held his breath before looking over at her. "World peace?" He deadpanned before cracking a smile and shrugging. It was still cool outside and the grass was even colder against his back as his eyes tracked over the twinkling stars.

"I dunno," he said with another shrug. "Sanity. Clarity," he offered. What he had asked for was for Gabrielle to be forthright and for himself to be more observant. Raphael had wished for some help in organising his thoughts, for time to disentangle himself from the blonde's personal life and for him to take a step back. The more he did things for her, the deeper he was pulled into her messy affairs. He wanted to stop. He wanted to pull the cord and let all the favours he did her flop. He was going to start tonight. He was going to box up all the confiscated cards and give them to her and let her deal with the consequences.

Of course, he wasn't that strong. He'd never let her fend for herself against the wolves. "Also, a good night's sleep," Raphael replied truthfully. "I can't settle and I don't know why." His grades were good and he was managing his time well, he just couldn't seem to switch off. In his bad mood, he thought it was probably Gabrielle's fault, too. "I'm tossing and turning and it's driving me mad, hence why I'm fully dressed and it's the dead of night." Frowning at the moon, like he blamed that for his misfortune too, he flopped backwards and onto the grass again, out flat like a starfish.
    « Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:10:24 PM by Sioban »

Tags: