November 21, 2018, 09:07:19 PM

Author Topic:  [september mp] strength before weakness [rémi | jaspar | cosimo]  (Read 482 times)

Anne Hofstede [ Ombrelune ]
516 Posts  •  15  •  played by Helena
  • Head full of atoms, she forgot the cold, her geometric mind picturing spinning structures.
  • Trophy Closet Completing a student service thread in Chatoeil Registered a wand from mainland Europe
It was a cool day for September in Marseille, and the clouds moving across the face of the sun cast a moving dappling effect on the light on the grounds. It had been several days since the strange earthquake at the beginning of term feast, and Anne and Rémi and Jaspar were standing outside, considering a fissure that had opened up in a large rock before them. They had received very little information from the school administration about the phenomenon, and Anne was not quite sure whether to be concerned or not about that fact. Luckily, she had friends who were always eager to discuss this type of occurrence with her.

Anne glanced at Jaspar. The Bellefeuille boy one year their senior, in Emma's year, was objectively more often immersed in nature than the two of them. While she didn't know whether he counted geology or natural materials a passion, at least he had more experiential knowledge than her. She knew enough to feel that something was off, though. "The thing is," she said in a low but animated voice, "I don't think earthquakes typically produce real fissures in rock. From my understanding, cracks appear when the soil shifts, but this is solid. And the other thing is that if anything, it would happen on a fault line. But that other crack we saw was a different direction completely, and regardless there are no fault lines in France."

She looked at the pair of them significantly, her eyes searching out Rémi's. She knew he would be far ahead in considering the potentially magical implications of the event, and he'd know what she was getting at. "It's just strange that the material would react like this." Squinting a little, she added, "As a side observation, this rock has some oddly metallic globules. I don't know if that's normal, either, but it would be assuming to try to connect it to the quake. Maybe some previous student tried a novel Transfiguration on it a long time ago, although it seems like an odd target."

@Jaspar Travars @Cosimo Marconi @Rémi Park
ooc: samm we changed it to a mini plot thing mid-threadfest because we thought it might be a fun thing for them to discuss but lmk if I should change anything! I tried to have her talk about metals in case you still wanna have aluminum foil make an appearance XD
and I see colors when I hear your voice

grab your wings, they're putting gravity on trial

Rémi Park [ Ombrelune ]
2186 Posts  •  FIFTEEN  •  dislikes labels  •  played by VANNAH
  • it's that time of the night a friend texts me 'what follows postmodernism?'
  • Trophy Closet This member reached the Diamond level before the 2017 FPP reset! Jenny's Holiday 2016 Prize Contributed at least once to MH Quidditch lore Jenny's FPP 2016 Sapphire Reward Vannah's FPP 2016 Sapphire Reward This member is a former administrator of Magical Hogwarts! Spenny's FPP 2016 Sapphire Reward "I rescued Winterfest 2015 and all I got was this bitchin badge" Upper Middle Class Family Member Beauxbatons House Cup - Ombrelune (1999-2000) This member reached the Diamond level before July 2015!
Re: [september mp] strength before weakness [rémi | jaspar | cosimo]
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:13:54 AM »
Rémi didn't like the fact that they hadn't heard much about this earthquake thing from staff administration yet. He already had an inherent distrust for the archaic hierarchical way that the French education system was run, and events like this only confirmed that his distrust was warranted. It was a healthy kind of skepticism, he thought. The Ombrelune wished - genuinely - that more of his peers possessed it. Interacting with others with basic critical thinking skills on a daily basis would be a dream, but alas, he was trapped here with the idiots. At least he'd found a few others with similar thought processes to him; Rémi didn't know what he'd do without Anne, even if she didn't quite share his hatred for tradition and power structures.

The teenager nodded when Anne spoke of fault lines. "It's not like France doesn't have earthquakes either, but you're right about the fault lines. I owled my father and asked if he could do some research into muggle news covering a few days ago - if there had been any muggles affected by the rumbles..." Rémi trailed off. He hadn't heard back from his father yet, but he suspected that the muggles wouldn't have had news of anything. As far as he was concerned, the lack of response from administration basically guaranteed that it had been a magical occurence. Rémi remembered watching their headmistress excuse herself at the feast, but his bias was too strong when he tried to remember accurately what her expression had looked like or whether or not she'd exchanged glances with other teachers.

"I think they're being strangely quiet about the whole thing." He said simply. Rémi had voiced his thoughts already to Anne, but not yet to Jaspar. He didn't want to behave in an irrationally paranoid way, but surely if the little earthquake had been unimportant the staff would have reassured them of the fact?

i   k n o w   t h a t   i ' v e   b e e n   s l e e p i n g   ,   i   k n o w   t h a t   i ' v e   b e e n   d r e a m i n g

Jaspar Travars [ Bellefeuille ]
528 Posts  •  16  •  played by Samm
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 02:17:27 AM »
The earthquake was just another thing that Jaspar was now afraid off. Adding it to the list of the things that made him nervous and/or anxious the Bellefeuille tried to hide his panic behind science, like he always had. Luckily behind around Anne made it that much easier and Jaspar remained mostly silent as he followed the two of them to where the rock had cracked. With the exception of a few nods and agreeing sounds low in his throat the tall boy had been nearly invisible until Anne mentioned something solid and concrete that could not be ignored. Jaspar tilted his head toward her and opened his mouth to voice his agreement but Remi had beat him to it. Closing it once more the awkward young wizard moved to fidget instead and nod along to everything that Remi was saying. He wondered silently if the muggles had felt the quake and especially about if they were alright. He'd seen muggle moving pictures where their towns were devastated by disasters. When Remi mentioned how quiet the administration was being about the Earthquake Jaspar could only shrug.

"Perhaps it was magic and not nature." He finally gained the nerve to enter the conversation. "Though that would require quite a lot of magic..." Pulling his wand from his back pocket he moved to kneel on the ground. One knee landed on the soft, albeit slightly moist, ground and he could feel the wetness seeping through his uniform slacks. With his free hand he slid his long blond hair out of his face, tucking it to the side and began to use his wand as a tool for measuring the fissure. Knowing the diameter of the tip of his wand Jaspar used it to inspect the crack in the stone even though honestly he had little idea what he was looking for. He had an inquisitive mind and a knack for keeping good notes though, and he was already planning on spending the rest of the evening in the Library soaking up whatever information he could find on Earthquakes. Setting his wand down and pulling on the leather strap holding his satchel off of his shoulder Jaspar pulled out a quill and piece of parchment.

"How long would you estimate the shaking lasted?" He asked before craning his neck to look up at the two of them with a curious and slightly less panicked look on his face.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:36:51 AM by Samm »

• Head full of atoms, she forgot the cold, her geometric mind picturing spinning structures.
  • Trophy Closet Completing a student service thread in Chatoeil Registered a wand from mainland Europe
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 05:15:32 AM »
Anne nodded in agreement with both of her friends. "They really are being quiet about it. Part of it I suspect is ignorance; I can't tell for sure whether most of the staff knows what's happening themselves. But," she shook her head, "Madame Maxime must know. She shouldn't keep it so under wraps. It concerns all of us, evidently," she said, gesturing at the crack in front of them. Instead, they had been asked to finish their meal like they weren't all staring at the crack in the floor. Her happiness at Andries' sorting into Bellefeuille had quickly vanished after that. "Let us know what your father says, but I'm inclined to agree with you two at this point. It doesn't make physical sense." Anne knew that wizards tended to disregard what they viewed as Muggle sciences, but they were all part of the same framework in her mind. They just still had work to do to connect them.

Considering Jaspar's comment about the magnitude of magic, she furrowed her brow slightly. "It might depend. If a small amount of magic destroyed a stabilizing element in the bedrock, perhaps that could have a similar effect to a large amount of magic directly channeled into seismic waves. And..." a thought occurred to her, and she looked to Jaspar, having no firsthand knowledge of the event. "Jaspar, didn't you say that your first year wizards whose magic concerned different elements attacked the school? Maybe a focused power like that could cause this?"

Looking over his shoulder as he measured the crack, she brushed some thick, loose waves out of her scrunched-in-concentration face, regretting not having put her hair up earlier as it itched slightly on her neck. "The crack in the hall appeared within maybe ten seconds. I think the shaking persisted for...maybe three minutes after? But I always find I overestimate how long memorable events take." Bending down next to him, avoiding the wet ground, she tried to get a closer look. "Does anyone know how far out the cracks go? Are there any at the edge of the castle grounds? We might be able to tell whether the range extended all the way past us or wheteher it was contained to Beauxbatons itself. Do you think the ballroom was the epicenter?"

Rémi Park [ Ombrelune ]
2186 Posts  •  FIFTEEN  •  dislikes labels  •  played by VANNAH
  • it's that time of the night a friend texts me 'what follows postmodernism?'
  • Trophy Closet This member reached the Diamond level before the 2017 FPP reset! Jenny's Holiday 2016 Prize Contributed at least once to MH Quidditch lore Jenny's FPP 2016 Sapphire Reward Vannah's FPP 2016 Sapphire Reward This member is a former administrator of Magical Hogwarts! Spenny's FPP 2016 Sapphire Reward "I rescued Winterfest 2015 and all I got was this bitchin badge" Upper Middle Class Family Member Beauxbatons House Cup - Ombrelune (1999-2000) This member reached the Diamond level before July 2015!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 06:20:12 AM »
Rémi nodded when Jaspar suggested it was magical rather than non-magical in nature. They'd all been thinking it; he was glad someone actually said it. The teenager ran a hair through his recently-cut dark hair. He watched the rock thoughtfully, listening to his friends talk while running his thoughts over all of the possibilities he'd already thought about. Rémi snapped his attention to his blonde friend as she spoke, his dark eyes keen for her input. "Elementals," he said. Saying the word out loud felt strange, like he was talking about something that didn't exist. Elementals clearly did, exist, however. Beauxbatons students probably knew that better than anyone. Rémi had talked to his father in length about the topic. Jonghyun didn't know much about the mysterious branch of magic users, but he had come across some suspicious items and objects in his travels.

"I think less than three," Rémi interjected, shaking his head. "Maybe two or two and a half?" Rémi looked out, following the line in the earth towards some trees in the distance. "We could check?" he suggested thoughtfully, not sounding too enthusiastic either way. They could go and have a look at the furthest marked effects of the quake. Make notes about distance. They had their wands on them, didn't they? The teenager imagined others in his house doing the same. Ombrelunes were curious people, whatever else was said about them. Rémi couldn't imagine Emma having any sort of intellectual interest in the topic.

i   k n o w   t h a t   i ' v e   b e e n   s l e e p i n g   ,   i   k n o w   t h a t   i ' v e   b e e n   d r e a m i n g

Jaspar Travars [ Bellefeuille ]
528 Posts  •  16  •  played by Samm
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 08:05:23 PM »
He listened to their theories about how long the quake and its aftershocks had lasted and took in the information. He was merely storing it for later, knowing very little about actual earthquakes, so that they could do more research. Jaspar made a mental note that she had estimated longer than he did, just so they had a good testing range and then nodded along when Anne began to ponder about how far the cracks went. It was a good piece of information, definitely something they would need, but he felt slightly apprehensive about going that far away. "I'm not sure if were supposed to go that far from the school right now though?" He said before he could stop himself. He wasn't a strict rule follower but if it was about their safety he was more inclined to listen. Of course he felt like a nerd as soon as he'd said it though. Science was about pushing boundaries after all, not about staying in the slow lane.

Brushing his hands off on his pant legs he stood back up and looked as far into the distance as he could follow the cracks for. "I mean, well, I guess if you guys want to go out there I will go too." He tried to be bold as he stared away from them. He always felt like he wasn't enough of anything, even in this group of three he wasn't the smartest, or the best looking, he wasn't even bravest. He was just average, he was forever cursed to be just average. Trying not to dwell on his own pitiful existence he instead dove back into the science of it all. Science really was his only escape. Silently he wondered if the cracks followed a somewhat straight path or if they spider-ed out in all directions like a piece of broken glass and then he spoke.

"Looks like some of them head that way."

Cosimo Marconi [ Papillonlisse ]
564 Posts  •  16  •  "yes please"  •  played by VANNAH
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 06:37:39 AM »
Cosimo had been looking for his Bellefeuille friend for almost ten minutes now and he was losing patience. Finally, after hassling one of Jaspar's housemates, Cosimo had been directed out into the grounds. He'd spotted them and was currently beelining their way. The quidditch captain puffed his chest out a little, standing a little straighter as he approached the group of nerds. He knew the asian one - they'd butted heads once or twice and he always made Cosimo feel dumb by using words he didn't understand. He didn't really know the girl. Anyway, he was here for Jaspar, not his nerd friends.

"Jaspar!" he said, clapping the shorter guy on the back with one large hand. He wasn't gentle and he had to chuckle as the Belle stumbled a little. Cosimo grinned, but there was something antagonistic about his smile. There was a smirk hidden in there somewhere. "What are you nerds doing out here?" he asked, quirking his eyebrows at the others before looking down at the rock they seemed to be surveying. Yawn. Without letting anyone actually reply to his question, Cosimo put his arm around Jaspar and tousled his hair in mock-affection. "So remember how you said you'd help me out with my charms essay?" he asked, "Well I'm gonna need that soon, 'cause it's due friday."

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 08:07:32 PM »
Anne nodded, accepting Rémi's correction with no doubt of its veracity. She trusted his instincts, especially when she had reason to doubt her own. Anne got to her feet, not rising that many inches above the Bellefeuille despite his being on one knee, to look in the direction of the next crack. Ready to walk in that direction at once, she paused when she heard Jaspar's concern. Turning back and considering the lack of urgency in Rémi's voice, the Dutch girl reconsidered. "We don't have to go today. I don't remember any explicit rules issued so far, but they might give us more information in the coming days. Or they might create a rule, and we might lose our chance." GLancing back out and back at her friends again, she shrugged. "I don't know that it's a crucial piece of evidence. Maybe we could have a look at the next one, though?" It was a good compromise, she thought.

Anne turned around, frowning, at the sound of heavy footfalls approaching them, accompanied by the form of the Papillonlisse Quidditch captain, Cosimo Marconi. Her frown deepened. She knew that Rémi had had a few run-ins with him, but originally even so she'd have waited to form an opinion. In this case, though, the blow he delivered to Jaspar was enough to swing the pendulum of her opinion to the negative side. Anne crossed her arms as he proceeded to call them nerds and manhandle the Bellefeuille some more.

By the end of his speech, Anne's eyes had narrowed considerably. Jaspar didn't really like to talk about the people that bullied him, but even though she preferred the library, Anne did her fair share of walking around the palace, especially when she wanted to check out her favorite architectural elements. She hadn't heard of anything specifically between Jaspar and Marconi, but this sounded a lot like a certain kind of arrangement that was somewhat one-sided. She exchanged a look with Rémi. "Jaspar," she said coolly, ignoring the Papillonlisse boy but directing her words pointedly at him, "has anyone mentioned to you lately that 'help' is best given freely and only at leisure?"

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!