January 18, 2021, 07:03:41 PM

Author Topic:  charms office | rock the boat [shelby]  (Read 141 times)

Filius Flitwick [ Professor ]
45 Posts  •  70  •  played by lianne
charms office | rock the boat [shelby]
« on: August 11, 2020, 03:34:34 AM »
charms office | mid-afternoon

In bygone days, Filius Flitwick, Master of Charms, had not adhered quite dutifully to the office hours he gave on his syllabus. He would tell his students, in the first lectures of the year, that he might be found in his office at the times enumerated, but that he might also be found in the corridors outside the Charms classroom, or occasionally outside the Transfiguration classroom (or within it), and sometimes out in the greenhouses.

In bygone days, as a result, his office hours had not been popular, except on Tuesdays when both Pomona and Minerva had classes during all of his free periods. But Pomona was retired, and Minerva his superior -- though Filius could still make time, occasionally, for tea, he felt irresponsible doing it during what she knew were his office hours, so lately he scheduled those times the way he probably ought to have done for the past forty years.

These days Filius wandered less. He didn’t regret that his office hours had, consequently, grown more popular -- he rather enjoyed popularity, something he’d never had as a student -- but he did miss having a clique. It had once been him, Minerva, and Pomona, united against the world -- or at least against the things that mattered.

It was still early in the term, so most of the students coming into office hours had been working on independent projects over the summers and wanted his input, or were worried already about their O.W.L.s, or were already confused in their classes, or wanted candy. Today it had been rather slow, just a fifth year who’d borrowed a book over the summer, so Filius was sitting with his feet up on his desk eating Ice Mice, the third quarter’s Transfiguration Journal propped open on his desk, when one of his second years came in. (One of the Tricketts; hung around Vos and her crowd.)

“Hello, hello, good afternoon,” he said, “What brings you here?”

@Shelby Trickett
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:30:37 PM by Lianne »

I could have got rid of the sparklers myself, of course, but I wasn't sure whether or not I had the authority.

Shelby Trickett [ Ravenclaw ]
151 Posts  •  Twelve  •  she's twelve!  •  she/her  •  played by Fosse
Re: rock the boat [shelby]
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 05:46:54 PM »

Shelby had dutifully copied the most important part of each of her syllabi into her notebook - the professor's office hours. Organized, alphabetically by last name, painstakenly rewritten when Benny had spilled some milk on it at breakfast two mornings ago. It was a couple days before she had every professors' availability down, but once she did, she wasted no time carving space for dropping in into her schedule.

(Not that it was particularly busy, but she liked to pretend she was busy and always working. It made her feel older, more confident, like some of the fifth years Ingvar hung out with. She couldn't be short and blonde, maybe, but she could certainly be studious. Plus, she was pretty sure in a few weeks the Korean Trickett would be finding her schedule booked up with unofficial tutoring.)

The door to Professsor Flitwick's office was open - she peered in first, just to make sure the Charms professor was actually in. There he was, lounging it seemed with some candy and a book. The dream, really. Shelby pulled her head back, glancing down on the neatly folded pieces of parchment clutched in her hands, then walked in, trying to channel a little bit more Gryffindory confidence.

"Hello, Professor Flitwick," Shelby said, already feeling the bravado evaporating. She towered over him, which made her even more anxious - weren't people in charge of you supposed to be bigger than you? She shook her head slightly, trying to focus. "I wanted to get your approval for starting two new clubs, this year, the Prefects say you usually sponsor them?" Oh, drat. A run-on sentence already. Shelby gave up on the fake confidence and just put the two pieces of parchment down, unfolding them before sliding them across Flitwick's desk. "It's, one's for Astrology and the other is for a rowing club?" She taps on a couple of key paragraphs. "I put together proposals over the summer."

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 02:50:33 AM »
Filius took his feet off the desk and leaned forward, eyes crinkling a little. She didn’t come often to his office hours -- this was probably the cause of the nervousness, and he was eager to assuage it. “Two clubs?” he said; she slid two slips of parchment across his desk, and he pulled the closest one closer and steepled his fingers to read it.

“Astrology,” he mused, flipping over the parchment to see if there was a club roster written down yet. “I would suggest reaching out to Professor Dickinson or Professor Firenze -- they’ll probably have more information on the subject -- but I’m happy to sponsor this one. Do you have a list of interested students yet? You’ll need at least three members, including your club president -- I presume you’ll be stepping into that role?”

The rowing club gave him more pause -- while astrology seemed like a fairly harmless and inexpensive endeavour, particularly if the students used their personal telescopes and lunascopes, rowing seemed like it would need supervision, and Filius -- though he was happy to sponsor clubs -- was rarely happy to supervise them.

He pulled the other slip of parchment over to read it, too. “I just don’t know how safe this is,” he said uncertainly. After they’d been stripped down and warded, over the summer, he was inclined to believe that the Hogwarts rowboats were perfectly safe now, but -- of course -- they were also self-propelled, which negated the rowing. He stroked his chin thoughtfully -- “Are you quite sure you’d like to head two clubs at once?”

I could have got rid of the sparklers myself, of course, but I wasn't sure whether or not I had the authority.

Shelby Trickett [ Ravenclaw ]
151 Posts  •  Twelve  •  she's twelve!  •  she/her  •  played by Fosse
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 04:40:13 AM »

Shelbys face began to fall when the other professors were mentioned, quickly brightened again when Professor Flitwick seemed to approve, then bit her lip when he started questioning her. Roster? Club president? Shelby hadn't really thought that far. Was she meant to have a list already? She scrambled to think of two more people - " @Circe Sutcliffe and @Tomie Vos and me for now," Shelby quickly rattled off. Tomie wouldn't mind, for sure, and hadn't that nice upperclassman mentioned she liked astrology too? Shelby wrung her fingers together. "And - I guess?" Shelby didn't particularly want to be president of anything, but she could always step down when someone else wanted to be president. She nodded once, a beat later, emphatically, to demonstrate her commitment to the new role. 

Well, one down. Shelby let herself breathe, smoothing down the outside of her robe in a self-soothing motion. She opened her mouth to say thank you, then closed her mouth as Flitwick's expression shifted slightly.

“I just don’t know how safe this is,” Flitwick finally said, and Shelby felt a bright red rushing into her cheeks. Of course, it was stupid, she was stupid, rowing was too American or too dangerous or too both to be approved. Her expression was so painfully, obviously disappointed. "At the Stowe Institute, it was super safe - I could write to them and ask how they did it? I took notes," this was more uncertain, "but I don't know if the vests we had to wear just had Flotation charms on them or something else." She bit her lip again. "Um. Not really? But I figure I have more time now than next year when we get started on OWL prep more seriously, and now that Flying class isn't over there isn't much in the way of physical activities for non-Quidditch players, right?" Her eyes went wide. "But if you think it's silly then just Astrology is fine!"

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 12:09:00 AM »
Miss Trickett listed her society roster with the air of one naming names off the top of her head. That had never stopped him approving a club charter, though, so he slid open a desk drawer for the forms and his blue ‘Approved’ seal, twitched his wand so that his quill in its inkpot could start copying over the information his student had brought in -- for the Astrology club, that is.

He wasn’t sure how to advise her on club presidency; most clubs weren’t started by underclassmen, although he supposed a second year would have more room in his schedule than a third year might. It still wasn’t ideal; after a point the greater task was in convincing the other club members to listen. “You and your club members can decide on your own decision-making processes, of course,” he said, stamping the Astrology club form and pushing it across the desk at her, “I’ve seen rather a few creative ones, over the years -- the Gurdyroot Club (now defunct, of course) had its members race to eat an entire Gurdyroot.” The reason the club was defunct was that nobody in 1983 had managed the feat.

Filius adjusted his glasses on his nose and raised an eyebrow. “At the Stowe Institute, I would wager there was not a mercolony and a grindylow infestation in the lake,” he said. The merpeople weren’t a great concern, but the grindylows were. Second years had yet to discuss aquatic creatures in Defense Against the Dark Arts. “However… you’re right about, ah, ‘physical activities’.” He was loath to admit that -- Filius had never been an admirer of physical activities -- but he hastened to add, “I don’t think it’s silly! I just want you to be realistic -- I don’t want you to overwork yourself. Have you considered just asking Professor Hagrid about taking the boats out on occasion?” The boathouse was really Hagrid’s domain anyway.

Tags: