“Fflur, Bertie; Bertie, Fflur,†said Robin, gesturing to each in turn as Bert’s happy tail thumped on the floor. “Be nice; let’s all be friends here.†He laughed heartily at Fflur’s observation. “Such cheek!†he exclaimed, putting on a disapprovingly stuffy accent and punctuating it with a much lower-class gesture.
She compared his lodgings to her own as they moved into the kitchen, and he grimaced sympathetically. “More than the students get, I guess,†he said. “Still nice to have room, though. Though not as if me and Bert really need it. Was sharing the place when I moved in, but he’s long gone. Got married or something years ago. We didn’t talk much—Well, I’m sure I talked a lot; he didn’t really.†Robin winced and looked over to watch her select their tea. He could feel this situation getting him keyed-up and jittery. “Good choice.â€
Somehow, mercifully, he managed to fill his kettle without spilling anything. “Are you allowed to live outside of school?†he asked as he pulled out his wand to start the range. “Always room in the village. You’d have to walk up during the day, of course, but, well—“ He grinned to himself. “As it is you’ve got to walk down in the evening to talk to me.â€
He’d been hoping she might have some suggestion for how they’d occupy themselves, but no such luck. “Oh, ‘course we haven’t got to do anything,†he said. “We could lay on the floor and contemplate the human condition for all I care, just, y’know—on the off chance you wanted to be entertained...†He glanced back at Fflur, who now had the dog’s head in her lap. “Bert might be a better bet if that’s what you’re after, though,†he said with a light laugh. “He’s a proper ladies’ man. Bit fickle, though—not my fault if he breaks your heart.†Water heating satisfactorily, he turned around and leaned back against the counter. “No, no need,†he said, laughing again when she tried to thank him. “Improved the day immensely, if I’m being honest.â€
Lounging back casually, he jumped when she suggested he start some music and clipped his elbow on the edge of the tile counter. “Oh, yeah, definitely,†he said, waiting to scowl and shake out his arm until he’d darted over to the sitting room. Turning on the radio would be a gamble, so he started to flick through his crates of records in search of a favorite. “Not sure if I’ve got anything to your taste.†He chose an older rock album and slipped it out of its sleeve, carefully positioning it on the gramophone. The pulsing bass and languid guitar were sort of sexy, but also the sort of thing you might get stoned with your friends to, so she could take it however she would.
He was unable to resist swaying to the music on his walk back, and laughed as Fflur eyed him. “Do you dance?†he asked, wiggling his shoulders playfully. “I, personally, embrace all forms of public humiliation.â€