Well, that raised more questions than answers. Did she want to call Graeme Professor? Joanna wasn’t sure. Although vaguely horrified at herself for her flirtatious comment, she wasn’t exactly against flirting with him. Add the fact that he had responded in like… She may not be skilled in flirting, preferring a more direct approach, but she wasn’t incompetent. And Graeme seemed to on board with this style of banter. It was just, well… Joanna did not exactly approve of the idea of a role-play of teacher and student being sexualised in any way.
It sat ill with her that anyone could consider an imbalance of power in an interchange an appropriate place for that. The thought of even play acting naughty school girl made her want to launch into a lecture about equal partnerships and power dynamics and the importance of not abusing positions. And this was not the right place for her to stand on her soapbox. Yes, she wanted to reply to him suggestively, but she just couldn’t do it with the current topic. Not without swallowing down bile. Joanna felt pained for a way to respond, trying to think of something that didn’t have her coming across as a harpy, when Graeme continued. She left out a breath of relief, and smiled. Back of equal footing. This she could handle.
“Oh, I’d be happy to,” Joanna replied eagerly. “I don’t know much of teaching theories, after all, I’m not responsible for the delivery of training, but I can easily look some up and see what is effective.” New skills, Joanna loved this topic. Information fascinated her. “There is a working theory these days that children learn better in a creative, free environment, which turns into inquisitive learning as they develop and interact more with both the physical and social world.” Information that had gone straight into Joanna’s brain from a late night documentary that had been on her grandparent’s TV. “There’s a large push in muggle early years education to encourage this rather than structured play.”
“Whereas, obviously, adults are more interested in goal-orientated tasks and so the resulting style is probably more structured with more emphasis on results.” Joanna paused for breath before continuing. Her enthusiasm on the topic had meant that her word speed was faster than her usual, steady tone and her voice had risen slightly in excitement. “We obviously use clear goals for squad training, but I’m not exactly sure how it’s structured anymore.” She contemplated, “I can easily ask for the training files though. If I had the time I would go observe a session, but that’s obviously not going to happen. Maybe this would help to reinvigorate refresher trainings though.” She thought of the disaster of a creature handling course that she had recently made the squad undergo. They had sat in a room for the day and listened to the speaker talk. Once it was over everyone signed their attendance and fled, glad to leave. “What style are you currently taking with the children? Do you vary it depending on level?” She asked, hand already absent mindedly scrabbling for a quill before she realised what she was doing.
“Oh.” Joanna paused and let out a small laugh, letting her hand come to a rest. “Or I could just like shut up and accept the help you’re offering without getting all ‘aargh’ about it!” With the ‘aargh’ Joanna had raised her hands to shake them about in the air, a less showy version of jazz hands, to emphasise her over-enthusiasm on the matter. She let out another self deprecating laugh. “Guess I’m just excited that Hogwarts now has a Professor that actually cares about teaching skills rather than just doing whatever takes their fancy!” She had a very low opinion on the competence of teaching staff at Hogwarts. It was an opinion she didn’t exactly hide very hard. The school really should be inspected once in a while…
As expected, Graeme merrily agreed with her opinion on the state of things at the Ministry. Of course, she wasn’t surprised. First of all, her opinion was right so any intelligent person would agree. Secondly, Graeme had left on bad terms, and clearly still was not fond of the place, so anything negative about it was a positive for him. “I am glad, there’s too many people who cannot do a simple shield spell.” She paused, unwilling to get too excited about it, “however, with shield charms having not been taught until OWL year and Defence not being mandatory following that, then I’m afraid there’s a large deficit and some will slip through the cracks.” Joanna smiled then, considering what was available. “The Weasley twins, you might have been slightly too old to remember how much trouble they were at Hogwarts? But, they managed to make an excellent line of shield charm infused clothing. Like, I couldn’t find a design fault in them.” Joanna actually found it amusing that a joke shop was able to produce such useful items. Even if stepping into the shop sometimes felt like taking your life in your hands.
Leaving her posture open, Joanna was still surprised when Graeme seemed to be expecting her to ask for something. Was she that transparent? Not about to comment or argue in any way since she was just happy he was willing to hear her out, she began talking, trying not to sound too much like a bumbling buffoon. “Well, we’ve had such a downturn in applications for the squad over the past few years. And it’s not as though it’s dung shovelling. Like, I’m sure people would apply, if they knew to.” She paused, to look slightly more beseeching before continuing. “I have no faith that the career advice that is currently being given at Hogwarts is a true reflection of the careers on offer. I mean, there’s absolutely no follow through regarding it, and it is entirely carried out by Heads of Houses.” No Joanna, do not rant, be nice and ask. “In muggle schools, career advice comes from advisers that are outwith the school and… nope, not important.” Do not rant!
“Anyway, I was wondering if you would be able to use your position to maybe educate the students that auror isn’t the only career path available for those that enjoy defence?” Joanna drew the sentence out slightly before continuing, her gaze still focused on Graeme. “I mean, obviously my goal is to promote the hit squad as an option. The pay isn’t bad, it’s stable work and obviously,” she paused slightly to jokingly flick her hair across her shoulder, “it has the best boss. But like, you must have options too from the private sector? Surely they deserve to know these rather than stumbling forward only really knowing one?” Favour asked, she folded her hands, but made no move to continue with her meal. “What do you think?”