"Yeah, of course," Will assured her with a smile. He'd said that loads of times before but now he was really starting to feel the strain. "You can come to my place, if you like," he offered, figuring it was even ground. Arden's flat was too far away and Will wasn't sure if Elijah had flat mates and the thought made him shudder.
"I think it's sort of fun," he tacked on as he sipped from the bottle but Will's idea of "fun" was less likely bars and bowling and more like cups of tea and philosophical discussions. As Arden reminded him how old he was, he laughed and then winced before shaking his head. "Eighteen," he echoed, his dark eyes wide. "I can't even remember what I wanted to do when I was eighteen," he mused. Apart from wanting to propose to his then girlfriend and somehow do it on a hot air balloon?
Will really hadn't intended to drag poor Arden all the way from Germany, just to use her as a soundboard. "It wasn't meant to be this way," he managed to croak out. One of the main problems with him was that he simply could not outrun his conscience. None of this was how he'd planned it. In that moment, he wished he could have been eighteen again and avoided most of this trouble.
With a sigh, he straightened up again. "You remember Honey, don't you?" He asked Arden, trusting that she did. After all, she was hard to forget. "And Bérénice," Though he spoke about the Frenchwoman considerably less, he realised. With a frown creasing his handsome facial features, he intently studied a nearby tree, as though that would somehow give him the strength to spill his guts.
"Well," he added briskly. "The man Honey left me for, you'll know him," he added wrly with a smile that was brief. "Gravesend Griffins captain," he went on to say with wide eyes and a why wouldn't she? look on his face. "Small world," he laughed as he drank from the bottle as though the entire kerfuffle was comedy gold. "Turns out, Bérénice cheated on me with him, too. While he was still dating Honey." With another laugh, he mimed his head exploding.
"So basically," he went on, in case she was struggling to catch up. "Honey wrote to me asking me to meet up. She said she'd broken up with Harlan but didn't say why. Obviously because her ex had told her all about his secret manoeuvres in the dark." Or at that quidditch match - it made his stomach turn. "One thing led to another and we ended up going back to my place," he trailed off, trusting Arden to fill in the blanks.
"I liked it," Will insisted because he had. "So we sort of started seeing each other casually again and I know," he groaned as he rubbed his forehead. "Bad idea. You're preaching to the choir," he admitted. "We were at the Highland Games together and she let slip that she knew Bérénice had cheated on me and she decided not to say anything."
He fell silent as he chewed his lip anxiously, suddenly not hungry. Turning to Arden, he offered her a wan smile. "Our significant others decided to cheat on us. With each other." Tilting his head back, he lazily watched the clouds roll in. "I lost it, Dash," he said in a quiet, desperate voice, using his sister's nickname that he never did.
Looking dazed, he cleared his throat. "I said some horrible stuff to her," he admitted as the truth settled uncomfortably around his shoulders like a wet blanket. "I think my anger was misplaced but don't get me wrong," he said quickly, "I'm still mad at her. I felt like I was just a big joke and that she didn't really care. She should have told me," Will announced sharply, his mouth set into a thin line. "I honestly can't understand why she'd keep that to herself." He was mad at a lot of people but as more time unpassed, he realised he was just a very unhappy man.
"I was a right twat," Will told Arden with a brittle smile. He rarely got angry and with good reason. "It's been a few weeks now and I've tried saying sorry but I don't think she's interested. Which is fine, of course," he nodded. He didn't like playing the victim but every single participant in this weird love quadrangle seemed to be coming out of this just fine. Everyone except him.