Author Topic:  [June '04 MP] always half a step behind {open}  (Read 252 times)

239 Posts 25 Straight she/her played by Olivia
  • "Most maidens are perfectly capable of rescuing themselves, in my experience"
  • trophy closet
  • Post of the Month Winner you're so golden extra cheesy corgi power!! For characters who were members of Dumbledore's Army Olivia's admin badge England National Team Fan Halfblood Character Registered a wand from Ollivanders or the British Isles Danny's Dingleberries Prost! Scotland the Brave
[June '04 MP] always half a step behind {open}
« on: October 08, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »
Wizarding World’s Fair, Sydney, Australia | Saturday, 26th June 2004

With the BIL season recently ended (thus bringing about a momentary pause in her endless responsibilities), now was as good a time as ever to get away for a long weekend – and Emma needed to get out of London for a bit. She’d never been to Australia or to the WWF before, but was quickly sold on the idea after a co-worker told her that Portkeys through the Ministry were free. International travel was not cheap, Merlin knew. But the flat was much too quiet, now, and she desperately needed a change of scenery.

https://mhrpg.jcink.net/index.php?showuser=480' rel='nofollow noopener' target='_blank'>Edith had left to move in with https://mhrpg.jcink.net/index.php?showuser=1472' rel='nofollow noopener' target='_blank'>Fergie shortly before Emma’s birthday in late April, and https://mhrpg.jcink.net/index.php?showuser=1560' rel='nofollow noopener' target='_blank'>Noah had gone back to the States less than a fortnight later. At first it had been sort of nice, having the place to herself again – but as weeks ticked by, the relative silence became oppressive and the flat began to feel much too empty, now that she and Rosie were its sole inhabitants. She rather thought the elderly cat agreed; Emma had caught her poking around both empty bedrooms every now and then with an occasional questioning ‘mmmrow?’, nose in the air as though she were trying to sniff them out.

The Slytherin alumna missed having Edith around, of course – but she’d only been there three months at best, and while they had a very unique relationship forged during the War, there’d been a several-year period afterwards that they hadn’t spoken at all. She was still in London, at least, so it was easy to reconnect… but at the same time Emma felt almost intrusive in reaching out, uncertain how to navigate this next step in the friend-in-a-serious-relationship dynamic. The two women had been together nearly 24/7 for the past few months – should she give Edith some time to get settled before reaching out? How much time? And even if she did reach out, would Edith rather hang out with Fergie than with her, anyways? She didn’t know, and so she did nothing – at least for the moment.
Noah, meanwhile, had been in her life in some capacity since they were children (even though the majority of it had been transatlantic). They’d always had an easy sort of friendship, and at first she’d worried that sharing a roof would change that – however, to her pleasant surprise, nothing of the sort happened. Then Kate had been interested in him and Emma encouraged it, for both of her friends’ sakes. But when that fizzled out and Emma began spending more and more time with him, she thought there maybe could have been something more between them. But she’d never said anything or acted on it, again hesitant to make things awkward in the flat if she was wrong… and now he was back across the pond, maybe for good. Not for the first time, she wondered if she’d seriously missed out on an opportunity.

Emma gave her head an imperceptible shake, then, blinking in the early-Australian-winter sunlight. She’d come halfway across the world to temporarily not think about these things, as it was…

Letting out a long slow breath, she forced herself to actually see the booths and stalls she’d been drifting past while her thoughts had been elsewhere. After walking for a few moments, she spotted a sign up ahead that read: “Free Samples!” – naturally, she couldn’t resist. She couldn’t quite make out the booth’s banner, as half of it had begun to fall down and the flashing paint charm on the other half was going haywire. The sole employee was quite occupied with a large group at the opposite end of the booth but another potential customer was there, tiny sampling cup in hand, as she approached. Curiously, there was no other signage to indicate what these mystery samples might be. Emma wondered if whatever charms that had been placed upon them had taken them over, too.

She peered curiously into the haphazard row of cups, then glanced at the person beside her.
“Any idea what these are?” she asked conversationally.

|| pinterest | ann | Anni '15 . Halloween '16 ||

you took what you wanted; you got it, you know it . I'm haunted by everything that you gave me
you made me, you broke me, you saved me . I'm crazy but I'm not done

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal