Author Topic:  the less i know [fergie]  (Read 836 times)

251 Posts 28 potat-hoe
Re: the less i know [fergie]
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2023, 07:44:23 PM »
My sake?” Why on earth would it be for his sake? Unless Edith thought liking her boyfriend’s sister’s boyfriend (och) would endear her to him (Fergie). Usually, perhaps. But he supposed Charlie had been his friend first, something that clearly hadn’t bothered Charlie nor Honey.

Honey put the knife down and Fergie interpreted that as a continuation of the conversation – upping the seriousness of it, or something. He had been right. He held Honey’s gaze and thought about that, for a moment. He looked away without saying anything, but that had to be better than admitting he knew their mum trusted his opinion more than Honey’s.

“It’s no about proof,” he said, before—unwarranted—the first possible proof that popped into his head was that of a ring or a baby, and he wanted Honey to receive neither of those from Charlie.

She had charmed a plate of fudge over to him and Fergie waited a customary few seconds before picking it up, as if there was any chance he didn’t want a slice. He lifted it to his mouth and paused shy of biting; “Next time she brings him up I’ll be nice,” he offered, before proceeding to take a bite of the fudge. It took him a long minute to chew and swallow, as it generally did with fudge. “You should probably tell them first, or do ye need me to do that too?” His tone suggested that he was not genuinely offering.
  ]
f e r g i e   f l u m e
t h e   s h r i k e   t o   y o u r   s h a r p   a n d   g l o r i o u s   t h o r n

973 Posts 31 take you to the candy shop she/her played by cstine
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2023, 10:08:14 PM »
Aye, his sake. She wasn’t about to explain it to him now.

Fergie told her it wasn’t about proof, latching on to talking about that instead of agreeing–or even less likely: disagreeing–that their mum would trust his opinion on Charlie. So what was it about, then? He didn’t want to hear about the thing that was the real signal of how serious she was, the monogamy of it all, though to be fair, Honey didn’t like to think about it too much, either.

She frowned at Fergie as he eyed the fudge instead of helping her, then raised her eyebrows when he paused and reassured (?) her that he’d be nice the next time their mum brought him–Charlie–up. “Thanks,” she said after a few seconds–waiting for the catch but finding none–and figured the thanks could cover both that and the fudge taste testing. She went back to slicing, her gaze on the work, figuring that was that.

Of course, there was always that, the minor detail that maybe she should tell their parents she was dating someone, even without the specifics. His offer to tell them clearly wasn’t a genuine one. Honey set the knife down again, sorely tempted to summon the fudge back. “You hadnae told them about Edith before Dad’s birthday,” she reminded him, and she knew now how long they had been dating before that (because it was just as long as she and Charlie had been dating, now– three months). “But ye knew they liked her already.” Which should have made it easier. So ye can get tae fuck, she tacked on silently.

Honey fumed for another couple seconds, picking up the knife again. “I’ll tell them,” she claimed, making one cut into the fudge before setting the knife down yet again. She looked at Fergie with a sigh. She had been working herself up to it–telling them–because she had told her parents about Harlan roughly one week before they broke up. And she had been serious then, too.

“I told you[,” she pointed out, fairly certain this was how the conversation had gone last time, Fergie talking about Edith.

honey bea flume

251 Posts 28 potat-hoe
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2023, 02:13:59 AM »
Mid-chew, he noticed the look his sister was giving him and decided to eat his fudge a little quicker, lest she try and snatch it back. But she thanked him then, and Fergie decided a simple nod was safer than saying you’re welcome because he had the feeling it would only come off smarmy or something if he did.

He watched Honey set the knife down, then glanced up to her face. He opened his mouth to object, but she was right: he hadn’t told them about Edith. He did have one card up his sleeve though: “I also didnae bring Edith to Dad’s birthday.” If he had wanted to take her he would have told them first, and that also wasn’t Christmas, abroad, with only the immediate family for distraction.

And, yes, he had known his mum at least had already like Edith enough to open up to her about her experience during the war, so he hadn’t anticipated any great objection to dating her.

But anyway, the irony of Honey complaining that he hadn’t told them about Edith sooner or whatever, when she was usually giving him jip for going too fast, and wasn’t she being a bit pot-kettle now? (Not that he thought she was going too fast, generally, but Christmas was a big deal and—Merlin help him—it was still Charlie they were talking about.) “I’m sure it’ll be fine,” he said diplomatically.

Fergie sucked the last remnants of his piece of fudge off his fingertips, then brought his mug back close to wash it down with a long sip of his coffee. He swirled the mug in his hand to mix the whisky in better, then had another sip as Honey told him that she had told him. “Aye,” he replied. Honey had told him, and then promptly asked him not to hit him (Charlie), and then Edith had offered to do so on his behalf if required.

He sighed softly and met Honey’s eyes. “Well, you’re no’ telling them tonight,” he pointed out, trying to appease any nervousness she might be feeling about the prospect. He put his coffee to one side to pull the ledger near again, at the same time gesturing with his other hand for another slice of fudge.

[ out ]
  ]
f e r g i e   f l u m e
t h e   s h r i k e   t o   y o u r   s h a r p   a n d   g l o r i o u s   t h o r n

973 Posts 31 take you to the candy shop she/her played by cstine
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2023, 05:01:07 PM »
Fergie was sure it would be fine and he sounded so reassuring. Honey sighed, looking at her brother, watching him drink his coffee and neglect to be supportive. He agreed, at least, that she had told him (which had to count for something). But then he proceeded to say nothing else, as if telling him about Charlie in the first place hadn’t been hard to do. She deserved some kind of ‘job well done’ for not trying to hide it from him for… longer than she already had done.

She probably should let it rest, shouldn’t push him too much, but he looked at her again, and she nodded in agreement. “No,” she said. She was definitely not about to tell their parents tonight. She sighed one more time for good measure (or maybe just to be dramatic, she couldn’t be sure).

He pulled the ledger toward himself, and Honey figured that was her cue to get back to the fudge. She picked up the knife and considered it for a second before setting it down again, magicking it after a few seconds and moving on to get started on something else.

[ end  ]

honey bea flume

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal