Author Topic:  New user group colors & tags!  (Read 2304 times)

970 Posts EST (GMT-5)
Re: New user group colors & tags!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2023, 04:12:48 PM »
Carys got jokes 😉🤣🤣

4 Posts 30 she/her
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2023, 05:58:33 PM »
as previously stated, very aesthetically pleasing. fee! thank you for all of the hard work that you do to keep the site up and running and existing and looking so pretty! <3

1266 Posts 35 She/her CST (GMT-6)
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2023, 10:44:06 PM »
I'm glad for the most part these have been well received. The last time we had new colors and tags was in 2016 and I'd forgotten how horrible it was to do them. Took me around 12 hours to get them made, uploaded, and assigned.

Anyway, for most of the groups, colors only changed slightly, mainly to improve readability for members who were having issues seeing the old ones. For colors that changed significantly, I'm going to include some of our discussion so you can get an idea why those colors changed.

i want to preface this by saying i have a lot of opinions about colors
i also want to say that the books are actually super descriptive of colors and so on, so i actually went through a bunch of scenes from the books looking for color mentions haha

PROPOSAL 1
hogwarts / beauxbatons / durmstrang / ilvermorny / koldovstoretz / mahoutokoro

(have kept bb, durm, koldo, and mhtkr colors as they are for ease, and slightly lightened ilver adult)

MY REASONING: well, possibly this is just because wizards love purple, but there's just a lot of purple at hogwarts. the wax seal on harry's letter is purple. professor mcgonagall has a purple megaphone to announce things. dumbledore conjures purple sleeping bags when sirius breaks into the castle, etc.
i just think purple is nice and wizardy for a very "default" mh character haha

PROPOSAL 2
my vote for ministry is either plum or maybe even mahogany
with sec tags for country like so britain france sweden america
and sec tags for department in the 4D284D or 541905 range
i don't care so much about contrast in sec tags because i don't have to read text in those colors

MY REASONING: the ministry really likes purple too, actually, as well as "peacock blue" and gold, but the wizengamot's robes are plum, and there's blue/purple/gold already, and if we're going to add to the purple then i'm in favor of a rich/warm color, and there's a lot of mahogany/rich wood at the ministry bc wizards are ridiculous and opulent

my thoughts on healer group is lime green like the healers' robes but not quite lime green because ouch

re: houses -- i'm not too picky but again i prioritize readability
it would be nice to make the hogwarts houses less crayola, i like these ones that you've picked out:

gryff - #ae0001
puff - #ecb939
rav - #0f52ba
slyth - #2a623d

I'm not sure if we'll be changing colors and tags again in the future. MH is turning 20 this year and there's no telling how much longer we'll be around. If we are around long enough to update things again, we'll put out some feelers in the Dev Pool forum for member contribution.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 11:38:33 PM by Daphne »

825 Posts
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2023, 10:51:33 PM »
there's no telling how much longer we'll be around.

ps edit etc
i think its dope, colors look dope, and tags arent soooo serious

cam
56 Posts she/her PST (GMT-8)
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2023, 11:40:45 PM »
hey, thanks for explaining, Fee.

I didn't mean to come across like I didn't like them, I think I was just surprised by combining all the ministries, but having slept on it I've decided it's not that big of a deal.

getting to read your guys' reasoning for picking the colors you did was cool, like using the books for inspiration (I'd forgotten about all the purple stuff at Hogwarts)

I was really sleep-deprived when I responded initially and probably just... needn't have?
so I apologize if it seemed like I was ragging on your hard work, that wasn't my intention.

I meant what I said before, I think the tags are gorgeous.
I enjoy how they look on the new theme and the way the colors vibe

one of my fav things you did was make the student houses main tags again, they look sick.

<3

▾ ▽ ▾

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal