Author Topic:  [Rybinsk, artistic flying gala] not scared of giants (Valera)  (Read 401 times)

172 Posts 30
[Rybinsk, artistic flying gala] not scared of giants (Valera)
« on: August 21, 2022, 11:28:14 AM »
 <div align="right">25th December 2004</div>

It was the day of the artistic flying gala. Aglaya hadn’t been able to be a part of the gala in the previous year. This year, however, her picture was on about fifty percent of the posters for the event and these posters were widely spread through wizarding Russia.

Surprising as it might be to people who knew what she had gone through in the past, Aglaya was relaxed when she arrived at the artistic flying school. A smile on her face, she took her time to give autographs and take photos with some fans that had arrived early. She felt that she looked great today. It had taken her over an hour to get her makeup and hair done just the way she wanted it.

At the school she quickly slipped into her first gala outfit and went to the practice arena for her warm up. She felt confident, strong, and deeply relaxed. She avoided her mother most of the time these days, knowing that Alyona would notice that her mood and attitude was not quite natural. However, most other people seemed to be happy to see that she was doing so well and did not seem too suspicious.

The main arena filled with people and it was audible through the entire artistic flying school. The show was opened with a synchro performance of some junior flyers and Aglaya felt that she became somewhat tense. It wasn’t even a bad feeling. In fact, before her stalker had tried to poison her, she would have considered this tension normal, even pleasant. It was the usual kind of nervous anticipation before she’d perform in front of a crowd. Now, however, she didn’t want to feel nervous at all. She made a beeline for her bag, on which she had cast several protection charms, and, after looking around if anyone was watching her, pulled out a vial. Quickly she downed the contents and slipped the vial back into her bag.

I should join the Potion Masters’ Guild, she thought and suppressed an amused grin. Her potion brewing skills had vastly improved over the past few weeks. She couldn’t imagine anymore how she’d get through everyday life without her variety of  potions but at the same time she was aware that she had a problem she’d have to face at some point. Now wasn’t the time to think about it, though.

As she started her first performance, Aglaya knew that she would mesmerise the crowd. She was in good shape and more expressive than ever. Surely there was no doubt who was the queen of the sport after today. She enjoyed the cheering of the crowd as she finished her performance. Toccata and Fugue had been her free program for the past season and it was a strong routine, filled with technical difficulties.

Before her second performance, just for good measure, she took another potion. She just didn’t want to feel the faintest hint of insecurity today. The first half of her program to Russian wrock music went well, she could hear the crowd and she loved that she was doing something different and unexpected tonight. However, towards the end of her performance she felt increasingly sick and barely managed to pull herself together until the end. Especially doing her trademark element, the back flip, made her stomach rebel more. Somehow she managed to get through her routine though and she assumed that nobody had noticed anything. She left the arena at her usual pace but then ran towards the bathrooms in the private area of the school as soon as she was out of sight..

When she left the restroom she spotted Valera who was looking right at her. “Aren’t you watching the rest of the show?” she asked feebly, hoping that her relative hadn’t noticed anything.

<a href='index.php?showuser=1622' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-34'>@Valera Tikhomirova[/url]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 11:04:37 AM by Inga »

55 Posts 38 pansexual and genderqueer ve/vir played by Carys
Re: [Rybinsk, artistic flying gala] not scared of giants (Valera
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 04:29:29 PM »
The junior flyers were home from Durmstrang, the gala had been widely publicised for weeks and for once it looked as if everything was going smoothly. Valera had been working flat out in the shop for weeks, selling updated brooms to proud parents that would be presented as gifts to their children over the holidays and had twice needed to restock the range of regulation practise costumes, not to mention using a variety of charms to effect alterations ready for the aforementioned gala.

Frankly, ve was tired and wanted a rest. Of course, having been born into this family meant that rest was something that happened in the off season, and never while there was a gala to prepare for. At least Aglayka was happier now; the ghost of her past hardly laid to rest but at least locked away for long enough that she looked able to perform. Indeed, the young woman appeared more comfortable and confident than she had for a while. Valera suspected that wasn't quite the whole story, but this wasn't the time to mention vir concerns to anyone.

Valera chose a seat near the back as she watched the junior performers. Young Ruslan looked throughly delighted with himself; clearly he was managing the difficult task of juggling schoolwork and a punishing training schedule. The child was only twelve years old of course, it only got more difficult as the years went on, but ve wasn't going to be the one to mention that. Maybe he would be that rare individual who actually managed to balance the two effectively. The display ended, and Valera felt virself relax somewhat during Aglaya's first performance. Then during the pause in the program a parent tapped vir on the shoulder and asked for advice, and Valera had to avoid rolling vir eyes. What a time to interrupt! Ve forced a polite smile though, left vir seat and stepped outside to explain that no, their seven year old definitely did not need to be using their 13 year old sibling's old broom and would likely suffer an injury if they tried.

By the time she had got rid of the parent, the music to Aglaya's next performance was already playing. Ve could hardly stroll back in at this point, so headed backstage and into the private area before someone else commanded vir attention. It was irritating, but at least vir niece was having a good day performance-wise. Even knowing nobody could hear, ve clapped when the music finished, then began to walk back to watch the next performance. It was momentarily quiet here though and ve heard rapid, soft footsteps and then a quickly slamming door. Curious, and also more than a little concerned that someone who shouldn't be here had somehow gotten past security, ve retraced vir steps and waited, one hand on vir wand.

Ve was both relieved and concerned when Aglaya emerged from the bathroom, looking to Valera's eyes a little pale and shaky. The girl's words were enough to convince vir that all was not well. "I would have been watching if not for a demanding parent" ve said "Your first performance was marvellous - I'm afraid I didn't see your second." Ve paused, and then added "Did it go as you expected?"

172 Posts 30
Re: [Rybinsk, artistic flying gala] not scared of giants (Valera
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 08:50:19 AM »
Aglaya felt feeble and would have liked to just lie down for a bit until she’d feel more stable again and then sip another potion in order to get ready for her last performance of the day. However, as she was facing Valera now, she decided to act as though everything was fine - even if her pale complexion might tell her relative a different story.

“Ugh, yes, I know how that is,” she said, trying to look compassionate and mildly amused. She had had her fair share of this kind of conversations in the past, they all had. Parents who wanted advice at the most inappropriate times, fans that wanted to take pictures of you when you were in a hurry, journalists that asked questions that one didn’t want to hear or answer…

“Thank you,” Aglaya said, mastering a genuine smile. “It really felt great as well. Such a shame that I can’t use this routine again for the new season.” Even before the previous season when she had barely had any time to prepare, she had designed a completely new free program. It would be a huge disappointment to everyone if she kept a routine for two years and, therefore, it was no option at all.

Valera had asked about her second performance and Aglaya deliberately took her time to answer. She wasn’t sure what she could say as she didn’t know if anybody had realised that she hadn’t been feeling great towards the end. If anyone from the family was aware of it, then, surely, it could become a topic.

“It was okay, I guess. It’s quite a different program.” Still feeling somehow shaky, Aglaya casually leaned against the wall, and opted for a smile. “I guess some people were surprised by the choice of music.” Modern tunes were hardly Aglaya’s first choice. She much preferred classical music to simple wrock tunes. However, there was some satisfaction in not being predictable.

Re: [Rybinsk, artistic flying gala] not scared of giants (Valera)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 09:58:48 AM »
Valera watched vir niece closely. Her responses were slightly...off. A year or two ago that might have been understandable following a performance; Valera could well remember replaying every move and arm position in vir head and judging virself harshly, and the sport was much more competitive these days. But instinctively ve knew that Aglaya was not thinking of her performance. Or if she was, it was what she would do next time how she could improve...no. It sounded more like how she could fool the audience. That didn't sound good. Valera thought fast.

"That's true...but you could always revamp a routine from several years ago, give it a new twist" ve suggested "Take the basic moves, refresh the choreography for a new season. Claim it's a tribute to...oh, I don't know. We'll think of something. Could think of something"
Probably Aglayka wouldn't like the suggestion, but maybe if the seed was sown, she would think about older routines. a new idea would begin to form...

Hopefully. But there it was again. It seemed the whole family had, in recent months, become expert at tip-toeing around uncomfortable subjects rather than speaking of them openly. One could argue that this was hardly the place, considering there could be a rogue reporter lurking just around the corner with a quick-quotes quill, waiting for a juicy bit of gossip to report. Still, it was clear to the family at least that the champion flyer was still struggling. Now wasn't the time to deal with that though.

"We should be more Ruslan" ve said with a grin, thinking of the child fondly and of his penchant for doing headstands on his broom whilst flying to fast, modern muggle music "Just...not worry about what anyone else is thinking. Fly to please ourselves...yourself, I mean..." for a moment Valera wondered how things might have ben different if not for the accident that had ended vir career at such a young age. Would ve have been in this position, constantly struggling to stay relevant whilst battling vir own demons? After a moment's pause, ve said "did you want to sit in the dressing room for a few minutes? Have a cup of tea perhaps?"

172 Posts 30
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 11:36:34 AM »
Had Valera lost it now?

Aglaya stared at her family member, totally taken aback. Revamping an old routine was a no go. It was absolutely out of the question that she could use an old routine for a second season. She could, of course, present it in galas again at some point but for competitions she needed something new. Her cousin could repeatedly show the same routine though. It was quite probable that nobody would notice it in her case as her interpretation skills were lacking. With Aglaya, however, it was different. She felt the pressure of high expectations. She needed to choose a new piece of music, come up with a new choreo and an expressive interpretation.

“I won’t revamp an old routine.” Aglaya said indignantly. “If I cannot set up something new, I can as well retire.” She felt the need to come up with new ideas every season and to improve her skills. Being so used to winning, losing just wasn’t an option to her anymore even if it meant working harder and harder every year.

Fly to please ourselves.

What a nice thought. Just to fly because she loved it sounded perfect. Aglaya still loved to fly, she liked to train and enjoyed most of her performances, but the pressure was always on. She had a reputation to lose. It would feel so great if nobody expected anything from her and she could just go out there, not worrying that she might mess up, lose a competition, disappoint people.

“I do still love it,” she said but she knew that she looked exhausted and sickly. She wondered if Valera believed her, if anyone really did.

“A little break with a cup of tea actually sounds perfect.”

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 01:58:04 PM »
Valera breathed a silent sigh of relief at Aglaya's indignant tone, and for half a second felt a wave of emotion so strong ve hadn't realised how worried ve was about the whole situation. "That's my girl" ve said with a smile, "let me know if you want a second opinion on your music choices. We could listen through some selections next week, if you like?" Maybe that was another thing they could follow little Ruslan's lead on, too. Valera personally preferred classical choices but it would certainly get some attention if Aglaya chose to fly to something unexpected and modern. She probably wouldn't like the idea, but it was worth suggesting...if only to get vir niece to refuse in the same indignant tone.

That was the frightening part of this whole business. The way the spark, the joy, the life seemed to be draining out of the champion. Flying was her whole life, and if she wasn't even getting joy from that, where did they go from there? It had taken a long time for Valera to find virself after the pressure of being a champion for even a short while, never mind an entire adult life. But if Aglayka said she still loved flying, ve wasn't going to argue. At least she was still defending her position.

"Come on, then." ve put an arm around the other's shoulders and led the way down the corridor to the dressing rooms. The music from the main arena was audible but muffled, as was the occasional applause, so it seemed unlikely they would be disturbed. Once they were inside though, Valera took the precaution of casting a charm on the door so nobody would be able to enter unexpectedly. Ve conjured two cups out of the air and glanced around for a teapot. The last time ve'd attempted to conjure one of those it had ended up with three spouts.

172 Posts 30
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 11:39:16 AM »
“Yes, I would like that. Now that we’ll have music for the technical exercise as well, I hope to find two pieces that are different but somehow complement each other.” Maybe she was too ambitious there. However, making compromises for her routines was nothing Aglaya ever considered. She wanted the best possible program with the best music selection she could find.

“I rather liked doing my free program from last season, a wrock selection and a slow piece for the gala now,” she admitted, though, with the slow piece still ahead, she wasn’t sure if she hadn’t overdone it. It was exhausting to perform three times and maybe she should have picked some easier routines for the night.

Aglaya gladly followed her relative’s lead into the dressing room where they could have a cup of tea and sit down for a while. She was in decent shape these days, but that didn’t mean that her excessive use of potions and the physical exhaustion of the performance were not wearing her down.

“Thank you,” she said as she sat down. Probably Valera was even unaware how much vir support meant to Aglaya who felt that most of her days consisted of fighting to stay on top, fighting against her inner demons and real enemies.

“Do you need help with the tea?” she asked, knowing that Valera was not always quite on top of things as a result of vir accident from many years ago.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 09:19:30 AM »
"Good. Let me know when you're free. Come for dinner if you like, or I can make a cake..?" Valera could barely remember the musical selection ve had flown to half a lifetime away, but ve suspected that everything from vir routines to musical choices would barely make the cut these days. The sport had moved on so much in such a relatively short time. Ve remembered the pressure ve had been under back then, and that was at a time when the sport was barely heard of outside of Russia. These days, with it's popularity growing worldwide, it must be so much harder.

"I'll send an owl to Anna. See what's popular just now" ve said, though it was quite possible that an ultra-modern choice would be quite wrong for Aglaya. They were talking though, and vir niece seemed more relaxed, making plans again. "You'll find the perfect pieces. You'll hear something and it'll just speak to you and..." ve clicked vir fingers and grinned.

They'd reached the dressing room and ve stared at the newly-conjured cups for a moment, having briefly forgotten what they had been doing. It was a frustration Valera had long since gotten used to, and ve was grateful when vir niece asked the direct question. Tea! That was it, of course - and it was obvious, why else would ve have conjured cups? Now ve spotted the teapot, tucked away behind a stack of towels, and a couple of quick spells both filled it with water and boiled it.

Moments later and the cups were filled and they were able to chat more freely. Valera had had a few further thoughts in the meantime. "Have you ever flown to Mussorgsky?" ve asked "I know what you're going to say, but some of his pieces could work precisely because it's such an unusual choice, particularly..." ve broke off as a quiet alarm sounded because someone was opening the door.

"Anyway. We can talk about it later" ve said, now they were about to be no longer alone.

[out]

172 Posts 30
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 09:36:34 AM »
“Cake?” Aglaya echoed, smiling slightly. “I think neither my mother nor Aleksandra Viktorovna would approve of that. Dinner sounds good, though.” She had to watch her diet and, luckily, ever since her poisoning she had lost all appetite for sweet things. They made her nauseous and she wasn’t sure if this was a long term effect of the poisoning or a psychological thing. Either way, it wasn’t a bad thing as it made it easy to stay away from things that weren’t good for an athlete.

Aglaya nodded as Valera suggested owling Anna for advice on what was popular these days. However, she was pretty set on picking something classical again. It was her forte to perform to classical masterpieces and she didn’t really need to branch out, given how successful her routines usually were.

“I’m sure it’ll be like that. I’ve always browsed through various pieces and then one gave me goosebumps and I knew I could use it and evoke feelings in others, too.” It wasn’t a secret that Aglaya was the highest scoring artistic flyer in history and particularly her c-mark, the one that was given out for performance and interpretation of the music, was what earned her above average points.

“I have not used Mussorgsky yet,” she responded. “Were you thinking of ‘pictures of an exhibition’?”

Their conversation was cut short as someone stepped in. Aglaya put down her tea cup and got to her feet again.

“Yes, let’s talk later. I have to get ready for my last performance anyway.” She smiled at Valera and was out of the door the next moment.

[out]

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal