Author Topic:  right back where we started from | kate  (Read 576 times)

60 Posts 32 She/Her played by Samm
right back where we started from | kate
« on: February 21, 2023, 08:20:19 PM »
March 2005

Since she was young, Rosalia had always loved the feeling of sunshine on her skin. Warming her from the outside in. Unfortunately, with tall buildings, cramped wizarding streets, and generally bleak London weather, sunshine was a rare find these days. Even in March, when the place she once knew would be bursting with light, London was still foggy, gray, and cold. The dreary weather outside made finding the hidden gem of a farmer’s market inside of a wizarding greenhouse that much more of a treasure to Rosa. And she’d probably spent more time here in the last three weeks than anywhere else that was not home and work.

Brushing her hand over a bunch of lavender, Rosa leaned closer to breath in the familiar floral scent released. She pulled back with a smile and pushed her loose braid back over her shoulder. Rosa had an old wicker basket hanging from one arm. She had picked it up from the pile of mismatched baskets at the entrance to the greenhouse, and it was half full with various plants. A few vegetables she imagined Monteserrat would appreciate, some Dittany for more potions, and another succulent to sit in her windowsill back home. Rosalia picked up some fresh herbs, passed by a pair of wizards shopping, and then smiled as she saw someone she recognized.

“Oh, hello Kate,” she said, the grin reaching her eyes. “Nice seeing you here.” They’d only met a few times, and always here, but Rosalia felt an almost instant kinship toward the other witch. They hadn’t known each other growing up, but when Rosa learned Kate was also from California, it formed a sort of bond.

@Kate Baker
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:58:00 PM by samm »

r o s a l i a   t o r r e s   g a l i n d o
and i think that you should know, that the places come and go
but the thing is that, home is where the heart is

413 Posts 22 Bisexual played by ashton
Re: right back where we started from | kate
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 11:32:19 PM »
Over the last few months, Kate’s casual interests for horticulture had been growing, not least because being in a greenhouse where it was warm and humid reminded her of home. She could book a portkey and return to her bungalow in Rancho Santa Fe anytime she wanted, really, but that felt like a lazy makeshift fix for what was a simple lull in her mood, and she was still trying to maintain a healthy distance from most of her relatives.

This greenhouse was overwhelmingly rich and home to a large array of plants, extracts, oils, and produce–every single time she came here, she found something new to add to her garden. Tropical plants wouldn’t thrive in London, there wasn’t enough sun, but then, there were plenty of beautiful flowers and herbs that couldn’t survive in a tropical climate, either, so she supposed things were about even in the grander scheme.

Kate crouched with her nearly empty basket flush against her side to examine the variations of hellebores, camellias, and primroses with her fingers. She respected the flowers and used a gentle touch before she eventually decided on one of each, selecting a different color in each flower for an interesting palette. Wisteria was one of the next plants on her list, but it wasn’t due to bloom until later in the spring, so she would save that for another trip. It was tempting to buy everything at once, but it gave her a reason to keep coming back if she abstained.

Her ears perked as she heard a familiar voice calling her name, and Kate stood back up right away, returning the smile before she even laid eyes on her friend. Were they friends? Friendly acquaintances? They hadn’t done anything outside of chatting at the greenhouse, and Kate was too shy to ask her. Rosa was older than Kate, she’d known that without asking, and she probably had more important things to do than to hang out with someone like her. Nevertheless, she appreciated the company, especially with a person who shared some of her heritage.

“Ah, hola, Rosalia,” Kate waved warmly with her free hand. “What are you up to today? I was just looking at these little guys here, can’t wait for everything else to start blooming.”

gracias   a   la   vida   que   me   ha   dado   tanto,   me   dio   el   corazón   que   agita   su   marco
cuando   miro   el   bueno   tan   lejos   del   malo,   cuando   miro   el   fondo   de   tus   ojos   claros

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 01:50:59 PM »
Rosalia peeked at Kate’s basket as she stepped out of the way of another customer, and then moved to stand closer to her friend. “The same,” she replied. “I am so done with winter.” It was March now, which meant the weather was starting to get warmer, but it would never be anything like what they’d both grown up with in California. London had some scorching hot summer days, but there was far less sunshine. That had been one of the hardest things for Rosalia to get used to here. For the first few months, Rosalia felt like she was damp and cold all the time. She just couldn’t get warm.

“Do you know if the pepinas are in season yet, I haven’t seen them?” Inside this magical greenhouse, Rosa expected anything could be in season, but some part of her still wanted to eat vegetables during their time of year. As if her stomach had been put on some sort of seasonal calendar while she was growing up. Her grandmother had a vegetable garden – full of all sorts of other magical plants, too – and purchasing overpriced, out of season verduras was unheard of in their house.

"I wanted to surprise my roommate with something for dinner, but I can't cook, so I figured a spring salad would be good." And if she cut herself chopping vegetables, at least she knew all the right spells to heal herself quickly. So, bonus.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:57:48 PM by samm »

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 09:21:42 PM »
Kate grinned at her, the smile reaching her eyes at the disdainful mention of winter. She felt similarly, obviously, it was her main gripe with the climate, and she’d been thinking as much not a moment ago. “No, they aren’t in season,” She told her, gently. Kate’s family had grown most of their own vegetables in a greenhouse, climate-controlled with magic to suit the ideal growing conditions as needed.

“I have a garden, at my place,” She said, half as a suggestion. “If you wanted to come over and pick some for free, you’re welcome to do that. I’m not sure how easy it would be to make clippings for actually growing the plants, but you could try that too–there are plenty of fertilizing potions and stuff like that that are great.” Kate quieted quickly, realizing she’d gone off on a bit of a tangent like she usually did when she felt a connection with someone or to something they were talking about.

“I love to cook, I just don’t really have that many people to cook for anymore, except my sister, when she’s in town.” Her sister was in Russia performing with a ballet company there, which was a nice break–before that she’d been around for a few weeks and she’d begun driving Kate up the wall, as elder sisters tended to do. Francesca hadn’t taken to some of the more traditional “duties” which were typically inflicted upon eldest daughters, and so they’d been shifted to Kate somewhere along the way. Cooking was certainly one of those responsibilities, which she’d absorbed around ten years old.

“I also love salad,” She smiled warmly. “I bet your roommate will love it.”

gracias   a   la   vida   que   me   ha   dado   tanto,   me   dio   el   corazón   que   agita   su   marco
cuando   miro   el   bueno   tan   lejos   del   malo,   cuando   miro   el   fondo   de   tus   ojos   claros

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 07:19:39 PM »
“Unfortunately, my ledge isn't big enough for a vegetable garden.” Rosalia answered the second half of Kate’s offer first, frowning as she pictured the small size of her window sill in the apartment she shared with another healer. “The pots of dittany and wormwood are already battling for real estate.” Rosa lifted her uneven basked, shifted her weight, and propped it up on her hip.

She smiled at Kate, “But if you’re sure you wouldn’t miss them, I won’t pass up the offer of free vegetables. And I would love to see your greenhouse.” Kate had grown quiet, so Rosa wondered if that was too much to offer (or too much for her to ask).

Rosalia had had the same friends since medical school, and making new ones felt strange. She considered Kate a friend, but their friendship existed inside this common space, and taking it outside of this market would be new. Kate had offered first, though, so Rosalia’s worry relaxed.

“You can cook for me,” she said with a bright smile and gentle laugh. “I love eating other people’s cooking.” It wasn’t because she was lazy or refused to learn, but entirely because Rosalia legitimately loved being part of the equation. Some people loved to cook—she loved to eat. “I hope she will, she usually does all the cooking, so I’m trying to surprise her.”
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:57:41 PM by samm »

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 12:27:39 AM »
Kate felt very silly and presumptuous that Rosa’d had to explain to her that her ledge wasn’t big enough for certain things–her heart sank realizing that was the sort of weight she’d never carried because of her economic privilege. She’d experienced bad things in other ways–for being Latina, for being a woman, for looking younger than her age, for moving out of the house as a single woman–but she had never known, much less understood entirely, what it was like to live as a “normal” person.

She changed the subject, and Kate lingered on the idea of doubling back and apologizing for her foot-in-mouth moment, but she didn’t want to draw attention to it if Rosalia hadn’t noticed and make her feel worse, either. She settled on moving past it, and did her best to present her friend with a smile that felt genuine, even if it didn’t look it.

“I definitely won’t miss them, and I’d love to cook for you.” Kate agreed, nodding in the direction of the checkout line. “My place isn’t far from here, we could walk or apparate,” She suggested, sounding neither here nor there about both of these options. They meandered over that way and Kate kept her fist around the handle of her basket, which was tightening every second.

She hadn’t begun to understand the ramifications of inviting someone over when they knew nothing about her background or her personal life, and usually friends she met already knew who she was–with Rosalia, that hadn’t exactly come up, so for all she knew, Rosa was expecting a normal flat, not a townhouse in one of the most coveted postal codes in London.

“Uh–actually, why don’t we walk?” Kate blurted after they’d moved through the line, items in hand, deciding that she needed more time to figure things out.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 06:33:52 PM »
Rosalia smiled because it was a generous offer; it made her happy to find a genuine friend. And especially one that liked cooking, because Morgana knew Rosa could barely flip a tortilla. The woman looked at her basket—she had enough of what she’d come to the market for—and then nodded at Kate’s next words. “Let me pay for these first,” she mentioned softly, and started toward the direction of the little check out counter.

After a beat, Kate corrected her earlier offer, and Rosalia nodded. “That sounds nice,” she said, remembering that Kate said it wasn’t far from here, and feeling more at ease that she would know exactly where they were headed. Rosalia wasn’t naturally suspicious of things, but someone else’s voice in the back of her head reminded her not to go places she didn’t know with people she wasn’t familiar with. (And her inner voice reminded her that that was basically her entire job.)

At the counter, Rosalia unpacked her basket, one type of item on the scale at a time, and handed coins to an older wizard in overalls. “Thanks,” she said before turning to Kate. “Alright, I’m following you,”
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:57:33 PM by samm »

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 07:33:34 PM »
Suggesting they walk had given Kate a bit more time to stall, but she had a hunch it wasn’t going to be enough to explain her house. Or her family background. Kate would never intentionally judge someone for their economic status, but it seemed likely that her generosity could be interpreted like charity instead, if she weren’t careful, and she didn’t want to ruin everything.

“So where in London do you live?” Kate asked, and waited on the corner for Rosalia to catch up before she crossed the street quickly, dodging other pedestrians by ducking and weaving through them. She was especially careful to shield her basket. “And, if you don’t mind me asking… how did you end up skipping across the pond?”

She smiled at her again. Even if Rosa’s family wasn’t from Mexico, she was definitely from the United States; her accent was a dead giveaway and they’d talked about being from California before. If she remembered correctly, Rosalia was from Los Angeles, but that didn’t explain why she was in London now.

“My parents are first generation, but… my dad is very ambitious, and he started a very successful business when he was young,” Kate hedged, “I don’t know if you’ve heard of Duenas Dynamics?”

The townhouses were getting larger, the landscaping significantly more manicured, as they drew closer to the area of Chelsea that Kate lived in. Her heart was beating faster. Perhaps it would have made more sense to keep this friendship a little more distant, but Kate preferred to take a chance over missing out.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 04:36:20 PM »
“I live in Kingston upon Thames,” Rosalia explained. She made sure to pronounce Thames the correct way, not how it was spelled, because she knew better. She’d been corrected enough times when she first moved here that it had stuck. Rosalia and Monsterrat had been sharing a flat in Southwest London long enough that Rosalia even considered herself a local now. It was far from a dingy place to live, but their apartment was small, quaint, and borderline affordable.

“I came here for school,” she answered without hesitation. Rosalia offered an easy recitation of a story she had told many times. She left out all the less attractive parts of her story—as she usually did—because she didn’t want to call any more attention to herself than was necessary. Rosalia didn’t want pity, and she knew enough to know that her sad story wasn’t all that bad in the grand scheme. Everyone had things they had to go through. Rosa didn’t tell Kate about her family or affiliation in Boyle Heights. Didn’t mention her brother nearly dying or her father spending most of her childhood behind bars. Rosa didn’t talk about the riots and violence. She left all that where it belonged: in the past.

“I am a Gunhilda of Gorsemoor’s graduate, have you heard of the school?” Rosa never assumed it was common knowledge, not everyone was familiar with the healing world. She realized, then, that she was unsure if she’d ever explained her profession to Kate. They had met so many times at the market, and surely discussed several things, but nothing detailed, and Rosalia wasn’t sure. Fear of repeating herself kept her from continuing, though.

The pair continued, and Rosalia gazed at the houses as they passed by. Their pace was casual, and she felt a certain steadiness to it. It was comfortable. The street was more peaceful than the marketplace. And Rosalia appreciated the serenity that well-tended lawns and pristine townhouses afforded the lane. Kate spoke again, and Rosalia made brief eye contact to show she was paying attention.

“That sounds familiar, but…” Rosalia thought she had heard the name before, but it seemed like something she’d heard in a past life, and not something she could currently place. “Tell me more about it?”
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:57:27 PM by samm »

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 10:59:16 PM »
Gunhilda was a crazy name, and Kate smiled to herself when she imagined a woman having a baby just to name it that. Did any baby actually look like a Gunhilda?

She’d known plenty of people at Ilvermorny who had more traditional wizarding names, both their first names and their surnames, but that sort of wackiness seemed even more common in this area. Hogwarts was considered especially academically prestigious, as far as she’d learned, and she wouldn’t have been surprised if the Healing schools followed the same sort of blueprint.

“It’s a Healing school, right?” Kate offered curiously, because she knew only that much and she wanted Rosa to tell her more. She enjoyed investing in conversations like this; Kate found it so fulfilling to develop meaningful connections and to make people feel like they were being seen and heard and listened to.

“We’re here,” Kate told her friend apprehensively when they arrived at her gate. She thought about how to explain her parents’ business as she pulled the latch and it squeaked forward, swinging wide open slowly. Kate shut the gate behind Rosalia and locked it, leading them up the stairs to the landing immediately afterward. Her clay-colored door stood tall and inviting in front of them.

Kate fumbled with her keys, stuck the right one into the lock, and turned it as she looked over her shoulder, smiling tightly. “My parents are in the music business, they… book and scout new talent, sign people to their label… come on in,” She said as she faced forward again to go inside the house, squinting her eyes shut tightly and relying upon her muscle memory to navigate them into the foyer.

“There’s a shoe rack there, if you’d like to take your shoes off…” Kate offered as she did the same thing herself, using one hand to lean against the wall for support.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2023, 08:11:42 PM »
“Yes, a school of healing,” she answered, a hint of smile gracing her lips. “I am a Mediwitch.” Rosalia exuded pride not in a boastful manner, but as an acknowledgement of her hard-won achievements. The blue robes she was licensed to wear were a testament to her dedication and toil. Not that most people would perceive it as bragging. After all, the role of Mediwizard was far less glamorous. And it was often outshone by the prestigious profession of healers at St. Mungo’s and other notable wizarding hospitals.

As she accompanied Kate toward a secure gate, Rosalia couldn’t help but wonder about the house beyond the fence. She could only imagine the grandeur that the obstructed view promised. As Kate locked the gate behind them, Rosalia wondered if there were protective charms inscribed here. She hoped her friend had a good magical security system. Rosalia studied every detail as they moved toward the massive door, a grin etching itself deeper on her face, knowing her friend;s living conditions were more than comfortable.

“Oh, I remember reading about the label; are you involved in the industry too?” Rosalia asked, stepping into the house with an expression of genuine admiration. She didn’t feel envy or comparison, as it wasn’t in her nature. Rosalia was happy to see this side of Kate’s life, and to have the opportunity to grow closer to a new friend. She’d missed making them. Rosa removed her keds, appreciating that she’d worn matching socks this morning, and placed them on the rack. Following Kate further into the house, Rosalia' gaze moved across the room.

“You’ve got a beautiful home, Kate,” she complimented sincerely. “Have you lived here long?”
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:57:19 PM by samm »

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 11:09:49 PM »
Kate beamed just hearing the pride in Rosalia’s voice. That was the opposite of how she tended to introduce her work, whether it was what she’d done in the past or what she was doing now. Music management and writing were both things that she loved, at their core, but there were also certain… things, people, events–associated with both these professions that made talking about them to people difficult.

She shut the door tightly behind them and did up the locks, turning to her again with her arms crossed (jokingly). “So you’re a great person to have a night out with, is what you’re telling me?” Kate led the way into the kitchen and turned the lights on manually, leaving her wand lying on the counter in front of her. “Would you like something to drink? I could make us a nice sangria,” Kate offered, knowing full well she hadn’t answered Rosalia’s more probing questions and that it would be rude of her not to eventually answer them.

“I’ve been in London a few years now,” She nodded once, slowly, and reached into the wine cupboard in the island to extract a nice bottle of pinot noir. “In this place… mmm, coming up on a year, I think,” She shrugged. The months all blurred together, and had for a long time. “I bought it and redid a lot of it, it didn’t look like this when I closed on it.”

The oranges, apples and strawberries came out next, laid neatly on the cutting board, as Kate continued. “My parents, they’re still very involved in industry stuff, and so was I, but. I’ve scaled back a lot,” Kate’s eyes drifted over to the record player. “Do you know how to work one of those?” She pointed. “If you want, you can pick something, put it on,”

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2023, 02:53:38 PM »
As they moved into the kitchen, Rosalia’s gaze wandered around the space, admiring the warmth of the surroundings. Kate’s comment about having a night out brought a playful smile to Rosalia’s lips. “Well, I like to think so, but that depends on what we’re drinking,” she replied with a chuckle. The offer of sangria was delightful, and she nodded appreciatively. “Sangria sounds lovely, thank you.” She watched as Kate skillfully retrieved the necessary ingredients and moved closer into the kitchen. In Rosalia’s eyes, the offer of food or beverage was a sign of friendship, love, or respect, and one she never turned down.

Kate’s description of her time in London and her current place resonated with Rosalia. Moving to a new city and making a home was a journey she could understand well. She nodded, acknowledging the efforts Kate had put into this place. “It’s a beautiful space.” Rosalia didn’t know enough about Kate to know her style, but she imagined this place reflected it. She could sense the personal touches and care that had gone into making it uniquely Kate’s, and she yearned to do the same with a home of her own one day. The apartment she shared with Montserrat wasn’t barren or austere, but it certainly didn’t look like it belonged on the cover of a home magazine in the way that Kate’s certainly did.

When Kate mentioned scaling back from industry involvement, Rosalia’s curiosity was piqued. She wondered what the story was there, but wasn’t sure it was appropriate to ask yet. Rosalia had her own stories about the life she left behind when she moved, and she knew she wasn’t ready to share them with Kate. Her attention shifted to the record player as Kate pointed it out, and Rosalia smiled as she approached it. “Oh, I'm familiar with these,” she replied, her smile turning a bit nostalgic. “My abuelo had one back in Boyle Heights.”

With a gentle nod, Rosalia looked through the collection of records, her fingers skimming gently over the covers. Picking one she knew would be easy to hold a conversation over, Rosalia gently set the record on the player and lowered the needle. The soulful melodies of country folk tunes filled the room, a soft strumming guitar, a husky man’s voice. The sound carried a sense of familiarity, like a comforting embrace from the past. “This music,” Rosalia began, her voice soft and reminiscent as she turned to face Kate, “takes me back.”

She let the music weave its magic, the lyrics telling tales of heartache, longing, and the simple joys of life, as she returned to Kate in the kitchen area. “There’s a bittersweetness to it, you know,” she continued, “it reminds me of someone, like revisiting an old friend.” Obviously, the music reminded her of someone who was more than just a friend, but Rosalia wasn’t trying to hide it. She sighed, still smiling, and looked to Kate. “What sort of music do you typically listen to?”
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:57:10 PM by samm »

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2023, 11:45:43 PM »
Kate inhaled slowly as she worked, enjoying the aromatic sillage the sliced fruits were diffusing throughout the kitchen. A frozen can of lemonade and the triple sec came out next, and after a moment, she was stirring everything together in her glass pitcher with a wooden spoon.

Rosalia was in the other room choosing a record, and Kate was surprised she chose John Denver instead of some of the more well-known (“popular”) names she had on that rack—that made her think Rosa might have some sort of a history with John Denver, which made her curious indeed. “Where did you hear about John Denver?” Kate asked her friend, who was lingering near the player.

She didn’t rush her to come back into the kitchen. She’d noticed Rosa had mentioned Boyle Heights—Kate was familiar with that area of Los Angeles, and it wasn’t one that she would frequent, most probably, these days. Even though she had experienced hardship due to her race more than once, the combination of that plus poverty was one she’d been fortunate enough to escape, thanks to her parents. Her grandparents, on the other hand, hadn’t been so lucky, and it sounded like Rosalia could understand that to a greater extent than Kate could. So—she didn’t rush her.

“Any old friend in particular?” Kate asked another question, prodding gently. “I listen to all sorts of things,” She shrugged, and noticed herself pulling away, avoiding, dodging the question just like she was hoping her counterpart wouldn’t. No good to be a hypocrite. She continued. “I’m a big rock fan, um… Queen, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, The Smiths, Fleetwood Mac,” She nodded toward some of the portraits she’d hung on the wall above the record player. “But I think there are good artists in just about every genre. I’m open to anything.”

Satisfied with an answer that had been much more honest than her initial one, Kate poured generous portions of sangria into stout little glasses made of crystal, sliding Rosa’s over the kitchen island toward her. “Just let me know if it’s too sweet, I can add some more wine,” She offered.

“I knew about Muggle music really young, because my parents kind of made it a point for me to.” Kate paused and then pulled a stool around to sit up on it. “Did you grow up in Boyle Heights?”
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 03:59:59 PM by ashton »

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2023, 10:46:00 PM »
Rosalia hesitated briefly, a touch of wistfulness in her eyes as she recalled her connection to John Denver’s music. “Oh,” she began, realizing she should have known how to answer Kate’s question, but that she didn’t. Arawn had shown her the musician, originally, which made explaining the connection slightly more complicated. “A very old friend introduced me,” she began, a faint blush coloring her cheeks. “He was more than just a friend for a long time. But things… they’ve changed now.” Her voice trailed off, hinting at a past filled with both joy and sorrow, memories tied intricately with those melodies.

She accepted the glass of sangria from Kate, her smile gentle and grateful. “Thank you for the sangria, it is perfect,” she complimented after taking a sip. Rosalia’s gaze met Kate’s, reflecting a shared appreciation for music, even if they did not have the same exact tastes. “That’s quite the range. Queen, Elton John, Led Zepplin – they’re legends.” They weren’t Rosalia’s go-to artists, but she recognized their impact on the music world.

Shifting the conversation back to Kate, Rosalia’s interest was evident. “It’s great your parents introduced you to so many artists.” Rosalia supposed it made sense, knowing that Kate’s family was in the music business. In the same way that Rosalia’s parents had introduced her to the family business—not that she’d ever planned to follow in her father’s footsteps. That was a big part of the reason why she left Boyle Heights in the first place.

“Yeah, I did,” Rosalia answered openly. She’d nearly grown out of the habit of watching the reactions of others closely when they learned where she was from. Over here, in England, halfway across the world, no one knew the difference between places like Los Altos and Los Angelos, Boyle Heights, or Rolling Hills. It was all part of California, the United States. “I was born there, most of my family is still there,” she said, explaining further and taking another sip.

Boyle Heights was a vibrant community with a strong sense of identity and culture, and it shaped who Rosalia was today. But there was a lot of bad that went with the good, and Rosalia began to wonder if Kate would understand.

“Have you ever been there?”
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:57:01 PM by samm »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal