Author Topic:  i've got a river running right into you || lorenzo  (Read 430 times)

23 Posts Twenty-five het she/her played by bridget
  • Embedded spies, brainwashing our children to be mean
  • trophy closet
  • Former Head Boy/Girl Influential Family Member Pureblood Character
i've got a river running right into you || lorenzo
« on: October 29, 2023, 09:22:13 AM »
A head of bright blonde hair appeared in the foyer of the Daily Prophet. She could never be tempted to use floo powder under any circumstance, so she made her way on foot, taking the opportunity to take in the fresh spring air. Violet hated the outdoors. She conspicuously blotted powder onto her nose and forehead.

Here to pay a visit to her favorite political journalist, Violet made sure to check her lipstick and brush her hair before she left her office. Lorenzo was in her office two days ago and said he’d be back the next day to collect the press release she needed more time on, but he never appeared. She even asked each of her colleagues if they had seen him. The report was now tucked away in the purse hanging off of her arm, and she supposed she must bring it to him if he wouldn’t come get it himself.

There was something about interacting with Lorenzo that made Violet’s skin tingle. He didn’t seem to fall for her little tricks and usually seemed a bit exasperated by her, but not in the way she liked. He didn’t return her smiles, didn’t laugh at her jokes, and she hated that. She knew she could break him. And she knew exactly where his office was, so she clicked down the halls until she reached it.

With the attacks that had been happening across the muggle world, they were forced to work together more. As senior assistant, her primary role was to correspond with constituents and parties of interest. It was important that the Ministry got ahead of whatever The Dark Widow was doing, especially in the press. It was imperative that his department receive this report.

Violet marched up to his office door and rapped on the frosted glass. Lorenzo Rais. What a name. It was nothing like hers.

She rapped on the glass another time, and then in a bold move that only she would pull, she opened the door without invitation. The charming smile she waited to greet Lorenzo with quickly faded when she looked around the room. “You’re not here?” She asked the void. Crossing her arms over her chest, she started looking around the room instead of leaving.

10 Posts Twenty-six Justice He/Him played by Dylan
  • Policies have risen up to overcome the brave
  • trophy closet
  • For characters who were members of Dumbledore's Army Ireland National Team Fan Italy National Team Fan Muggleborn Character
Re: i've got a river running right into you || lorenzo
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 10:11:30 AM »
Mornings were notoriously terrible for Lorenzo. He didn’t care much for waking up, and needed a lot more than a simple cuppa to make himself alive. He downed far more espresso than anyone he knew in Britan, and it was a shame—espresso was delicious. Of course, that wasn’t why he drank it. He drank it because the caffeine headaches made it impossible to work or do anything, and he had very very long hours trying to balance both his job at the Prophet and Law School both. He had finished his first year in the spring, and his second didn’t begin for another month yet, but Lorenzo was still exhausted from doing everything he had done the past few months. He was a bit burnt out, honestly, and that didn’t even include the exasperation from time spent with the Senior secretary for the Department of Public Information Services who seemed to be around every corner.

While there was a part of Enzo that liked the looks of Violet Thorne, there were several reasons he disliked her. Luckily for Violet, Enzo had graduated before he saw her “reign of terror” as Head Girl during the war, but he knew her type. She was a rich and influential pureblood—traditional, arranged marriage to keep the bloodlines going, a bit self-absorbed and snotty. He had known of her during school and had disliked her even then. Now, though, it was personal. She thought she could charm him like she would most anyone else, and he was not the type so easily manipulated. In fact, he found it pathetic to watch her try. While she had grown beautiful as she aged, more than he wanted to admit, she was definitely off-limits. If not for her personality and family lineage, then at least for the fact that she was someone’s wife. He wasn’t touching that with a twenty-foot pole, regardless of his own misplaced attraction.

He had told her he would be back to get the article she was giving him, but had gotten busy on a deadline and had not been back to get the report. He didn’t think she’d notice or care, and was a little impressed that she had come all this way just for little ol’ him, but he had made himself scarce in hopes that she might leave it on his desk and go. He was looking from around the corner, though, coffee in hand, sipping it as though he was eating popcorn and watching an interesting movie. Watching her deflate was almost too much for him. He took pity, and came up behind her.

“Talking to yourself again, Thorne?” He teased. “If you’re looking for this office’s owner….” He teased more, knowing his name was on the door. He smiled at her a little playfully, and passed her on the way to his desk. He put his mug of black coffee down and sat in the chair, offering her the seat across from him.

“Come in, sit. I suppose there’s not really any getting out of this now that you’re all the way down here, so we might as well get on with it—what do you need from me?”
war is overdue; the time has come for you to

shoot your leaders down - join forces underground

• trophy closet
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 12:04:43 PM »
Although anyone else would've been embarrassed and apologetic for intruding into an office that didn't belong to them and getting caught, Violet whirled at the sound of Lorenzo's voice with an award winning smile on her face. "There you are," she sighed, pulling her bag up closer onto her shoulder. "Suppose I sensed your presence." She retorted with an air of grandiosity. Of course she hadn't known he was around the corner, but it was tough to ditch the perfect, all-knowing impression that Violet had for herself. Everything always seemed to go right, and so this situation was certainly no different.

"You're a tough one to pin down, Mr. Rais." She complained, settling into a chair across from his desk as soon as the invitation reached his lips. "It's very unfair to keep me waiting." While she wasn't actually scolding him, she hoped her playful jabs would loosen him up, even though it never seemed to work. Lorenzo was one of the most frustrating people that Violet had ever met - none of the tools in her box of charms worked on him, and he always seemed to be insufferably short with her. Vi wasn't used to having this lack of control with men. Every other man would fall to their knees before her with enough hard work, but not him.

No pleasantries, "how are you", or apologies in sight - Violet frowned at him for it. "Well I guess you'd rather just get into it then." She averted her eyes and placed her purse onto her lap to retrieve the folder within. "I need you to run a story praising the Minister for his cooperation with muggle law enforcement and his response to the Dark Widow attacks. One of your colleagues ran a story praising Potter, which is all well and good, but Potter is not the Minister of Magic and we can't afford to lose support for Shacklebot in favor of the Chosen One." Violet probably should've been more careful with her words, because some part of her was oblivious as to how Lorenzo's own opinion would inform this conversation. She was not her own boss, and she did not come up with this idea. She was merely the one tasked with getting the job done.

"I'd like for the article to come from your desk, but if one of your colleagues can get the job done, it makes no difference as long as the story gets printed. We need it out in the world by Sunday's publication. Can you do that for me?" Violet painted another award-winning smile onto her face and awaited his response, hopeful this time that her charms would work and he would agree. Something pulling in the pit of her stomach told her otherwise.

• trophy closet
  • For characters who were members of Dumbledore's Army Ireland National Team Fan Italy National Team Fan Muggleborn Character
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 01:34:02 PM »
Lorenzo raised a brow at the light scolding, showing it clear on his face that he was both amused that she thought she had the right, and skeptical of that thought. He had, indeed, skipped the pleasantries, and had taken a seat waiting for her to being talking. When she did, he almost scoffed. “The minister, eh? What did he have to do with fighting on the front lines?” He wondered. He knew Shacklebolt was better than the previous ministers, but he wasn’t certain he was willing to give him credit where it wasn’t due. Besides, the Dark Widow was a bit of a sensitive point for him, considering his inclination to be sympathetic to her cause, if not her methods.

“And what’s the catch if I don’t print what you’d like? Maybe, if The Chosen One is the one off fighting the good fight, he ought to get the credit. Maybe people ought to favor him?” He asked, playing devil’s advocate a bit. He wouldn’t put all that pressure on someone like Harry. Harry was strong and capable, but not without flaws. He couldn’t handle all that pressure continuously. He didn’t want to lead the ministry, and Lorenzo knew that as much as the next person.

“If the ministry tells us what to print, we’re not an independent publication anymore, and we’re trying to get back to that, you know. Trying desperately after the war fiasco to get back to being a voice of truth. Objective fact.” He was mansplaning. “Maybe you should persuade me. How might I spin the facts to meet your recommendations?”

• trophy closet
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 08:00:19 PM »
The arched brow on Lorenzo's face told her he was at least slightly amused by her reprimanding him, but it also did something to her... She couldn't quite place it, but the show of amused skepticism gave her the feeling that if she could at least get a rise out of him, maybe he wouldn't always be impossible to influence. Though there was a secondary feeling - something telling her she wasn't reading him right at all to begin with. Maybe he was actually annoyed with her, and maybe her confidence was false and mistaken. Violet held her tongue and awaited his response.

Violet couldn't help but roll her eyes. "You understand I have a job to do, don't you?" She retorted. "You understand that the fight against 'dark forces'," she used air quotes, "is much bigger than who is on the front lines, and who is doing the fighting?" She sighed and crossed her arms over her chest. "It takes the organization of the ministry and multiple departments to take down this kind of threat, but sure, let's give all the credit to Potter as if he is some hero vigilante. That's helpful for the morale of the people."

Quarreling with Lorenzo in his office wasn't the first thing on her to-do list today, nor was it on the list at all. "I'm not telling you what to write, Mr. Rais." She looked down at her nails dismissively. "I presume you're the expert on journalism and the court of public opinion. I simply am here to do my job, and that job is to ask you, nicely, to find some damn journalist in this establishment to suggest that the Ministry, as a larger organization, has the situation under control, and that the world doesn't rest on the shoulders of a 25 year old man."

Violet smirked, breathing a laugh as he suggested she persuade him. She would persuade him, if he'd let her. Lorenzo was hot, but there was the issue of his blood. Violet could never be caught messing around with a muggleborn. Not only would it cause massive scandal in her marriage, but it would possibly result in her being disowned or cast off from pureblooded society altogether. She couldn't afford it, no matter how hot he was.

"You're just being difficult." She accused, throwing her hair over her shoulder. "You know what I'm asking for, and you know it's not unreasonable. You just love to give me a hard time." The smile spread softly across her lips once more. One last chance to disarm him before he kicked her out of his office.

• trophy closet
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 11:33:33 PM »
“Do they have the situation under control, though?” He wondered. “I’m not here to bolster the morale of the people. I’m here to explain things as they are. Has the Dark Widow been captured? Is her reign over now?” He wondered, eyebrow still raised in skepticism. “If that’s what you’re telling me, we can certainly work something out.” He assured, but he knew that wasn’t the case, and if it was, if she’d even have the information. “I’m not going to sign off on a lie—that everything is under control—when we both know it’s a scary world out there. That’s how the war happened, you know, unless you’re itching for another one.” That was a mean jab, but he remembered hearing about her being Head Girl during the war, so he doubted she minded too terribly much.

“I’m not being difficult just to mess with you, if that’s what you think. You think too highly of yourself, Thorne. I’m a man of integrity, though, and unless you can spin me something that I can use, then you’ll have to write an editorial yourself.” He countered, unsure if she would even be able to write something readable herself. She was smart as a whip, he knew that, so there was a part of him that thought it would be possible, but he didn’t think she’d really put her own personal time and energy into it.

“It’s not a no, just so you know.” He said, after a moment. “I didn’t say no. I said convince me.” He offered with a slight smirk. “You’re smart enough, Thorne. I’m sure you can argue something. Consider it practice for your future political career.”

• trophy closet
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 08:13:36 PM »
Violet had rarely (if ever) had trouble keeping her cool in professional situations, but she was willing to bet that that era was coming to an end. If she was going to be forced to continue working so closely with Lorenzo, she was certain that the time would come when she got fed up with his cold indifference and condescension and would tell him exactly what she thought. She didn't like the little game he was playing, didn't like feeling like a dog chasing a bone. She never had this hard of a time breaking through someone's defenses, but Violet tended to think it had something to do with her blood and status. He could say that it wasn't personal and that it had nothing to do with his opinion, but Violet never got shut down this quickly. She was not used to being denied the things she asked for. Damn him for being so good at resisting her charms.

Violet considered her next words carefully. She had an envelope filled with inside information in her purse, but she wasn't ready to play that card yet. Even if she wasn't having fun playing this game, she wouldn't let Lorenzo beat her. Her knee jerk reaction was to remind him who she was, the influence her family held, and all of the work that went into holding a rank in society. That was exactly what Lorenzo wanted, to disarm her with words and ruffle her feathers. She did think highly of herself, but in her opinion, those lofty thoughts were justified. She had worked hard to get where she was, and she refused to let him play that down. Her plans pivoted, a sticky sweet smile on her face.

"That's just the thing," She cooed, her voice soft as velvet. "I think so highly of you that I thought this would be an honor." Pulling the envelope from her bag, she hugged it to her chest. "I'm saddened to know that you think I would mislead you into writing an article full of lies and exaggeration." She cocked her head and shook the blonde curls slowly. "What did I do to deserve such a low opinion from you?"

Violet knew, probably better than anyone else in London, that any negative opinion of her was likely justified. Ever since that damned memoir was released by that nobody of a woman, she had faced difficulty at work and in social situations. Her confidence had been dashed, and her anxiety was higher these days than it had ever been during the war. She wanted to believe that her own personal form of damage control was working, but there were plenty of people her age who remembered her involvement on the front lines at Hogwarts her final year. Lorenzo was just another person making her pay for her sins, and she couldn't blame him for it, but it stung a bit. He bit at her again, and she let him.

"I'm not planning a political career, Mr. Rais." She laughed, but knew she was lying. It had been Violets dream to pursue a career in politics ever since she was in school. It was why she took the position of Head Girl so eagerly, and it was why she worked the jobs at the Ministry that she had. "You shouldn't presume you know everything about me, all because you've read some things and formed some opinions. If you wanted to get to know me, you could just ask me to lunch." She showed off another bright smile, hoping her deflection worked.

• trophy closet
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 02:04:54 PM »
Lorenzo raised a brow at her smooth talking. An honor? Why would she think that would work on him? He knew better, and also enjoyed, selfishly, not giving her what she wanted. “Well, come to think of it, it’s about lunch time. You like Thai?” He asked, after a moment, giving in to some of what she was saying but not everything. “We can discuss things more there. I know a place that does a nice lunch special. Soup and salad, lunch portion…” He offered with a little grin. He knew this was pushing it, but he did enjoy the thought of spending some time annoying her, and she would probably agree because she wanted him to do the job, and then he can decide if he wanted to do it or not depending. Truthfully, he knew it needed to be done, but he hated that the Ministry was going to tell him to do it. That was the rub.

He stood from his desk and extended a hand to her. “Shall we?” He asked, a playful lilt in his voice, but it wasn’t quite a tease. He would take her out, pay, and have a nice lunch date with her. Assuming she wanted to, and if she enjoyed it—and he enjoyed it—maybe this could be a recurring thing. Or, even better, she could put it on the government card and they could both eat for free.

• trophy closet
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2023, 09:55:50 PM »
A genuine smile crept onto Violet's face for the first time this afternoon. She didn't take him for the spontaneous type, and so when he suggested they get lunch today, she couldn't help but feel a little excited about it. Violet loved to go out to eat, and any excuse to get a meal somewhere was exciting to her. Unfortunately for her, she had never tried Thai food. Although she often traveled to international destinations, she tended to order the same things repeatedly. She had not spent much time in any Asian country, save for a short vacation in Japan several years ago.

Somehow she trusted him to know the best Thai spot in town. Lorenzo probably knew the city well. She wasn't sure what it was about him that gave him an air of experience and knowledge, but she trusted his judgement on this. Although she didn't know hardly anything about the man, she had rarely read an article of his that didn't leave her thinking. Admittedly she had been reading lots of his articles lately, even specifically looking for them when the paper was delivered to her office. That reverence was what drew her to his office today, and it was why she had recommended him for this article to her department head. His writing was so thought-provoking and intelligently constructed that she had no doubt he would craft something effective and impactful.

Of course she wouldn't mention her interest in his work to him, but it made her want to know more about him. A large part of her hoped this little lunch date was her chance to understand him better. She looked him over for a moment as he stood in front of her. She wanted to understand him better, if for no other reason than to glean some modicum of control when she interacted with him. If she could learn more about him, she could find his weaknesses and penetrate his shields.

Violet stood up and nodded to him, still smiling in that way that she had when he had suggested they go. "I've never had Thai," She mused, tucking a perfect tendril behind her ear and following him out the door.

• trophy closet
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 10:54:39 PM »
Lorenzo smirked a little as she mentioned she had never had Thai. Of course, the cuisine was not necessarily a staple of takeaway in England, but it was a lot more common than she might have thought. He wondered if she ever ate takeaway food, Indian curries, chips and fish, or things like that. He thought that, perhaps, Violet would consider herself “too good” for cheap, quick food. She was probably on a special diet, or had a House Elf to cook for her, or even both.

He wondered what her diet primarily consisted of, if he was honest. He had a hard time imagining her dining on anything but fine cuisine or plainly steamed vegetables with lean protein. That would be why her physique was so exquisite. He figured she did some kind of physical training, too, like Yoga or Pilates. He was entirely making this up in his head on the spot—but it fit his idea of her. Unattainable ideal, perfection incarnate—unrealistic for anyone to maintain without exorbitant amounts of wealth and intrigue.

“It’s unique.” He admitted. “I haven’t experienced the flavor combination in any other type of cooking, though I’ve had other curries and such—Indian, for example—they’re totally different.” He shrugged. He led the way out of the office onto the street, and walked only a few blocks to the little restaurant. It didn’t look like much from the outside, but had a cute sign in the door. The bell rang over them as they entered, and he waited by the hostess stand for them to be seated. He indicated a party of two, and was settled into a seat. They poured them some water, and he turned his menu towards her to show the lunch specials.

“What do you like to eat?” He asked. “Are you fond of peanuts?” He wondered. “Coconut?” He asked. “I prefer the red curry—it’s coconut based with your choice of protein, usually chicken for me, and vegetables. It’s served with jasmine rice. However, if you aren’t feeling the coconut, or the curry thing, and you like peanuts, you might like the Pad Thai.” He offered. “That’s a noodle dish in a spicy peanut-butter sauce (I promise it’s not sweet).” He offered her a grin.

“Either way, I would suggest the Thai iced tea. It’s sweet and creamy, but a unique flavor. I’ll be getting one too. Honestly, it’s the best part.”

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal