Author Topic:  Tears of sadness and joy (A.P. / L.P.)  (Read 333 times)

17 Posts 15
Tears of sadness and joy (A.P. / L.P.)
« on: October 08, 2023, 02:11:33 PM »
To: Amandine Patenaude, Heard Island and McDonald Islands
Sent: 29th July 2005
Format: Normal letter, blue ink on parchment, rushed and slightly messy handwriting
Contents:

Amandine,

I wanted to write to you for a while already, but, as you can imagine, I’ve been busy. However, I received news from Russia that are so shocking that I had to write to you as soon as possible in case that you haven’t heard it yet.

Svetlana Tikhomirova has been found dead. Yes, you’re reading it right. DEAD.

I cannot really believe it and I’m awfully sad about it. I don’t know a lot yet. My friend in Russia only wrote a brief note. Apparently Svetlana has been MURDERED, can you believe it? I’m trying to find out more.

I’m not sure if you read the results from Russian nationals but she beat Aglaya Tikhomirova there. Not sure if there will be athletes from Rybinsk at the European championships after this.

How are you feeling? How is summer school? Did you talk to your family (old and new… you know what I mean)?

I hope you’re doing well. You know you can always write to me if you need to vent or just want to share some thoughts. I'm eager to read what's going on in your life.

Take care,

Letizia

P. S. I almost forgot something important! I’ll be competing at the European championships. Believe it or not, I won the silver medal at the Italian championships and it could have actually been gold. I finished only one and a half points below Federica.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 06:42:34 AM by Inga »

24 Posts 14 Bisexual she/her played by Carys
Re: Tears of sadness and joy (A.P. / L.P.)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 06:38:24 AM »
From: Amandine Patenaude, Heard Island and McDonald Islands
To: Letizia Passerini, Barbizon, France
Sent: 30th July 2005
Format: Regular letter, rolled neatly and enclosing a photograph of a group of penguins
Contents:

Dear Lettie,

Seriously? Merlin, that's terrible news! Are all the other artists okay? Poor Svetlana, that's so horrible. Do you know what happened yet? I checked in the papers but they're a couple of days behind out here so there wasn't anything mentioned, though I did see the results of the Russian nationals. Do you think maybe someone killed her because she beat Aglaya? Some crazy fan or something like that?

I can't believe it.

I told Mathilde about it. You know, Mathilde Wagner, in Bellefeuille. I had to talk to someone and...well, she's nice. I mean, things are really weird and I think she feels as strange about everything as I do, but we're sharing a dormitory - well, an igloo. Summer school isn't exactly what I expected, though I guess that's my fault for not reading the leaflets before I signed up. At least our igloo is warm, and the indoor seminars are interesting enough. I'm supposed to be going whale-watching tomorrow, they wouldn't let me only sign up for the indoor activities. Mathilde loves this stuff though. The animals, I mean, not the cold. I don't think anyone really likes the cold except some of the instructions, there's this crazy dragonologist here who was telling us about the time she fell into the sea and nearly drowned, just like it was just an ordinary day. She said couldn't even swim at the time, but obviously she was making that part up.

I haven't talked to Mum and Dad. Well, aside from saying I'd miss them, and I sent a tern to say I'd arrived safely. Apparently owls don't like the antarctic, so hope you weren't too surprised if a seabird brought this letter!

That's amazing news about the European Championships! If there's any way I can be there to watch you, you know I will be!

Please let me know anything else you hear about poor Svetlana.

Amandine x

17 Posts 15
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 07:58:45 AM »
Sent: 31st July 2005
Format: Normal letter, blue ink on parchment, rushed and slightly messy handwriting
Contents:

Dear Amandine,

I’m still in shock. Honestly, who would do such a thing? I’m still not sure what exactly happened but she was found IN A WASTE CONTAINER. Can you imagine it? That’s so cruel and unworthy.

I cannot really imagine anyone being crazy enough to kill Svetlana at all, but someone did it… I really don’t know. It’s just awful and I’m sure it’ll change our sport forever. From what I heard they’re questioning everyone in Rybinsk, mostly the other female senior athletes. However, my friend doesn’t really seem to know a lot either.

Yes, I know Mathilde. She sometimes watches our practices. I think she might have a crush on someone there.

You’re staying in IGLOOS? That’s so crazy. Thanks for the photo by the way. It really looks cold over there.

Have fun whale watching and stay safe. Don’t fall into the sea.

I am meanwhile trying to prepare for the championships, but with the news from Rybinsk on my mind, I find it hard to focus. I thought I might be able to see Svetlana in Switzerland and I was curious to see if she remembers me from last year… I wonder if any other athletes from Rybinsk will compete there.

Take care,

Letizia

24 Posts 14 Bisexual she/her played by Carys
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 02:21:23 PM »
From: Amandine Patenaude, Heard Island and McDonald Islands
To: Letizia Passerini, Barbizon, France
Sent: 1st August 2005
Format: Regular letter, rolled neatly but with slightly rushed handwriting
Contents:

Dear Lettie,

Sorry this is going to be short but it's really late here and we've got an early start tomorrow. Apparently the Southern Lights are going to be really visible just before dawn and they don't want anyone to miss the opportunity to see them, so everyone's got to be up at 5am. It's nice that we get an experience not many people have. I guess.

I guess you didn't hear anything else about Svetlana yet, either? I kind of wish I was home so I could be reading all the papers, but you're telling me all the news anyway and it might be weeks before they figure it out. Are the championships still going ahead? I didn't think to ask last time but it must be really hard for the Russian athletes. I suppose some of them won't compete and the ones who do will be feeling really awful about it. I feel sad just thinking about it.

The whale watching was fun, actually. Better than I expected. Mathilde actually knew how to spot them - I think she read a book about it or something - and she saw the first one before any of the instructors. They seemed pretty impressed. I took some photos but I don't know how good they're going to be or if I'll be one of those weird people who show off their holiday pictures and say stuff like "keep watching...when the wave passes you'll get a glimpse of it's tail..!" You can see them anyway when I get back.

The cold's not so bad when you get used to it. They'd charmed areas of the boat so you could sit down and get warm too, and that helped. 

Amandine x

P.S. I've found a letter from Mum at the bottom of my trunk. I haven't opened it yet.

17 Posts 15
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 10:18:19 AM »
Sent: 5th August 2005
Contents:

Dear Amandine,

Sounds like an adventurous summer. I’m glad the cold is not bothering you too much and that you got to see some whales. I’m looking forward to seeing your photos when we’re back at school.

Did you read the letter yet? You should probably read it before you’re back home so you’re prepared.

I did not hear anything new about Svetlana’s death, just that the investigations are still going on.

To answer your question, yes, the European championships are still taking place. I heard that the athletes from Rybinsk will even be participating there. If I can trust the gossip, they’ll all be there… including Svetlana’s siblings. I’m not sure if that’s really true, I’ll only believe it when I see them there. My friend who’s in Rybinsk wrote that she isn’t sure that they will be allowed to leave the country if they’re suspects in the case, but she thinks that the Tikhomirovs will pull some strings to have their team there.

I’ll admit I’m not sure how I feel about it. This whole situation must be so hard for them and what if one of them did it, after all? It’s crazy to think about it, but… apparently the investigators don’t rule it out.

I’m trying to prepare for the championships but I’m not feeling very confident right now. However, the training camp is great, of course. I’m learning a lot here. They are just not exactly giving me much hope. The coaches keep criticising everything and I feel terribly exhausted from the countless repetitions of each and every move.

Take care,

Letizia

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal