Author Topic:  what are you reading? 📖 {vol. 2}  (Read 720 times)

3569 Posts 33 she/her EST (GMT-5)
what are you reading? 📖 {vol. 2}
« on: August 08, 2023, 09:39:42 PM »
(for reference - original thread is here but I do not feel like fixing 14 pages of broken quote coding so... 🙃)

hi hi, am reviving this because I have found a new top-favorite series (aside from HP)/ author anddd I have devoured 4.25 of its 5 books (which are NOT short, except for the fourth book) in less than 2 weeks

am a bit behind cause the first book was published in 2015, but without further ado:
A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas

the tiny sliver of hopeless romantic in me loves it 😭 the first book is good but tbh the second is even better. it feels like a familiar trope at first, but the second book brings another whole dimension and has you re-evaluating everything and it's just 🥰 great storytelling, fantastic characters... perfect mix of adventure and fantasy with a dash of romance. I went into it without any spoilers and it was lovely

several of my friends who don't even like the fantasy genre have read it and enjoyed it which I think speaks volumes haha
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 10:50:40 PM by Olivia »
|| pinterest | threadlist | Anni 2017 . gryff!pride ||

intermittently (and unpredictably) super busy - sorry!

1095 Posts
Re: what are you reading? 📖 {vol. 2}
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 09:45:22 PM »
i am reading:

harry potter & the goblet of fire
why the nazarene church should be fully lgbtq+ affirming by thomas jay oord and alexa oord
love is a dog from hell by charles bukowski

2235 Posts 33 she/her PST (GMT-8)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 09:49:20 PM »
(for reference - original thread is here but I do not feel like

girrrrl i have so many opinions on this series and none of them are nice lmao

(also i just finished paris hilton's memoir and it was great)

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 09:53:02 PM »
girrrrl i have so many opinions on this series and none of them are nice lmao

👀👀👀
now I have to know hahah

1568 Posts thirtyyyy she/her EST (GMT-5)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 09:59:12 PM »
i am currently reading:
firekeeper's daughter by angeline boulley (not sure i love it, but it still made me cry, so)
david copperfield by charles dickens
harry potter and the goblet of fire (i've been very very very slowly reading the illustrated versions with my partner) (twinsies @ashton )
no longer welcome by kate zinsser (for the academics out there)

i am not good at only reading one thing at a time and it makes me read everything ridiculously slowly

925 Posts 31 🔮 she/her GMT+10
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 12:29:28 AM »
i have the illustrated series too! @Sophie
part of me is torn bc i don't want to give jkr more money, but the other part of me is like at least the illustrator gets some money for all of his fantastic drawings??

anyway, i'm in a (fun/leisure + english language) reading slump and it's taken me a year to get through 50 pages of beautiful world, where are you by sally rooney :/

sandbox | shipper

2104 Posts
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 12:39:02 AM »
(for reference - original thread is here but I do not feel like fixing 14 pages of broken quote coding so... 🙃)

hi hi, am reviving this because I have found a new top-favorite series (aside from HP)/ author anddd I have devoured 4.25 of its 5 books (which are NOT short, except for the fourth book) in less than 2 weeks

am a bit behind cause the first book was published in 2015, but without further ado:

the tiny sliver of hopeless romantic in me loves it 😭 the first book is good but tbh the second is even better. it feels like a familiar trope at first, but the second book brings another whole dimension and has you re-evaluating everything and it's just 🥰 great storytelling, fantastic characters... perfect mix of adventure and fantasy with a dash of romance. I went into it without any spoilers and it was lovely

several of my friends who don't even like the fantasy genre have read it and enjoyed it which I think speaks volumes haha

I haven't read this series by her but I read like 6 of 8 in the throne of glass series by her so fast after @rinn suggested it so I understand the appeal of her stories haha

Forgot to add I'm currently reading:
Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson
The alchemist - Paulo Coelho
The bone houses - Emily Lloyd Jones
Only a monster - Vanessa Len
And a book about worldbuilding
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 09:47:49 AM by samm »

314 Posts 25 she/her EST (GMT-5)
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2023, 11:00:28 AM »
i love this thread

just finished:
magic burns - ilona andrews
book 2 in the kate daniels urban fantasy series. there are definitely so many things in these books that feel dated, and can be eyeroll-inducing, but they're just ?? so much fun ?? i love seeing the world expand, and getting more info on the magic as we go along. kate is a great main character, very capable, but isolated/lonely with a big guilt complex that makes me empathize with her. we have a pretty large cast of side characters with interesting abilities. fast paced popcorn reads for sure.

currently reading:
dark matter - blake crouch
just started so not much to stay here but the premise is interesting

nevermoor: the trials of morrigan crow - jessica townsend
book 1 in the morrigan crow series, a middle grade to ya series that feels reminiscent of harry potter but still manages to be its own unique story. it feels so nostalgic, and i love the world and our mentor character. it's just so charming imo. this one was a lot of fun but things get darker and amped up in book 2. this author does a good job with both whimsy and maturity; i think there's a great balance. i'm rereading these to finally get to book 3 so i can be caught up in time for the release of book 4 in october.

up next:
the goldfinch - donna tartt
cousin just lent this to me so i want to give it a try!

829 Posts 47 she/her GMT played by Carys
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2023, 02:44:42 PM »
I may be just about to weird at everyone... xD

Just finished reading The Big Cats and their Fossil Relatives, Otherlands and the entire Narnia series.

Currently reading Love in the Time of Cholera, The Lost Rainforests of Britain and I'm about to start Salt on the Midnight Fire by Liz WIlliams, which is the last in a quadrology and I am massively excited to read it :D

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2023, 01:20:32 PM »

update: have finished the 5th book and it's the best thus far! 2nd book is now my second favorite
next is her Throne of Glass series followed by her Crescent City series

then at some point I'll get to Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices series and Mortal Instruments series, as well as all of Brandon Sanderson's books 😬

925 Posts 31 🔮 she/her GMT+10
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2024, 11:17:44 PM »
anyway, i'm in a (fun/leisure + english language) reading slump and it's taken me a year to get through 50 pages of beautiful world, where are you by sally rooney :/

update: i've made it to page 74!
i've also read about 30 other chinese historical romance novels since then so that's something probably >>
also ploughing through the second sex by simone de beauvoir and re-reading the consolations of philosophy by alain de botton, highly recommend for both!

inspire me with your reading progress please friends
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 11:38:42 PM by taylor »

sandbox | shipper

1267 Posts 35 She/her CST (GMT-6)
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2024, 12:31:13 AM »
i just started reading "night of the witch" by sara raasch and beth revis

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2024, 12:02:39 PM »
next is her Throne of Glass series followed by her Crescent City series

have devoured Throne of Glass (7 books + 1 muti-novella) and all of Crescent City (including the third book which was released less than a month ago) 😬 really enjoyed all of it and looking forward to her next book which will be in her ACOTAR series!

can't decide if I want to start Fourth Wing next (since there's only one other book after it) or something different sigh

(my mom also brought a ton of my old books down when she came to visit last week so am seriously considering rereading the Song of the Lioness quartet for the sake of nostalgia 🥰)

2235 Posts 33 she/her PST (GMT-8)
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2024, 12:36:32 PM »
@Olivia fourth wing because i have Opinions (and i think the next book is due out this year anyway)

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2024, 01:20:21 PM »
@Olivia fourth wing because i have Opinions (and i think the next book is due out this year anyway)

can always count on you for Opinions 💕
ooh really, even though Iron Flame was just released a couple months ago?! exciting!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal