Outside School > The Burrow

[potter wedding] if you can learn to do it [anthony]

(1/3) > >>

Hermione Granger-Weasley:
?óÔé¼?ôSomething like that,?óÔé¼?Ø she said with another grin, deciding not to elaborate on how she hated that: destiny. As if she didn?óÔé¼Ôäót work hard for her relationship. She and Ron expressed love differently, words versus actions, and it required time and effort, not luck. But this was a happy joyous occasion, and getting down to brass tax about how relationships should be framed was best saved for a time when Hermione wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót deep into the cabernet.

Hermione laughed again as Anthony joined in, and she grinned before having another sip of her wine. ?óÔé¼?ôAlas.?óÔé¼?Ø Regardless of her date being Viktor or Anthony (or Neville), she would have ended the night being cross with Ron. She nearly snorted at the thought of destiny again. Hormones was more like it.

But he had to ask. Hermione leaned forward in turn, her eyebrows raised in anticipation of what he had to ask, figuring it was something still on the subject of Viktor Krum-- how did that happen? But her eyebrows went up a bit more as he asked his actual question; she hadn?óÔé¼Ôäót been expecting that. She knew where he was going with third year but he elaborated, and Hermione had another drink as he went on.

She was well practiced on avoiding the subject of timeturners, much like McGonagall had instructed her to when offering Hermione the option. But surely McGonagall?óÔé¼Ôäós ?óÔé¼?£tell no one?óÔé¼Ôäó missive didn?óÔé¼Ôäót apply ten years on? So much had happened since that giving a fourteen-year-old the ability to bend time was trivial now.

?óÔé¼?ôI.. had a time turner,?óÔé¼?Ø she said slowly, feeling much guiltier about it now than she had then. Then, it had been a way to go to all her classes when she couldn?óÔé¼Ôäót decide between artihmancy and divination. It hadn?óÔé¼Ôäót mattered that they hadn?óÔé¼Ôäót made special arrangements with the Ministry for any other student, or that they had trusted her with something like that, something that clearly belonged in the Department of Mysteries. ?óÔé¼?ôI gave it back after third year, though,?óÔé¼?Ø she said, as if that made everything alright.

Right, he said, and the corners of Hermione?óÔé¼Ôäós mouth tugged down in a slight frown. She wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót doing the subject justice. She probably shouldn?óÔé¼Ôäót have had so much wine; maybe then she could explain things better, and if not better, more eloquently. Succinctly. But without the wine, she probably wouldn?óÔé¼Ôäót have mentioned the timeturner at all, so it was a moot point. Besides, she was celebrating--Harry and Ginny were married--and didn?óÔé¼Ôäót she deserve to let loose once or twice? Where was she going with this-- Hermione?óÔé¼Ôäós eyebrows came together, looking much more like her usual thoughtful self, rather than the wine-soaked version that was having trouble following her own train of thought.

She was looking off into the distance when Anthony asked his next question and she waited half a second before looking at him. ?óÔé¼?ôEr, no.?óÔé¼?Ø The common gossip about her was usually untrue. ?óÔé¼?ôIt?óÔé¼Ôäós not.?óÔé¼?Ø She swiped a finger across her lips then held it vertically to them in a quick and silent shh. It was a fairly innocuous thing, compared to some things of the past decade, but her having a timeturner could be connected back to a not-class reason, if anyone cared to investigate it. And even if Sirius Black?óÔé¼Ôäós name had been cleared, Hermione didn?óÔé¼Ôäót fancy being publicly connect to helping him escape from dementors the third--or fourth, if she counted the lake encounter twice, which she supposed she could--time.

?óÔé¼?ôWould you mind?óÔé¼?ª??óÔé¼?Ø She trailed off, but she hoped her expression was clear enough, asking him not to tell, her lips pulled back in a slight grimace.

Anthony Goldstein:
She laughed! Hermione laughed. Tony wasn't sure if he should be miffed or not. On the one hand, it wasn't that far-fetched, for Tony to have what he thought was a crush on Hermione Granger in 1994, so, nu, how dare she laugh?

On the other -- Tony glanced down at his own wrist, hanging limp with one elbow on the countertop. On the other hand, how ridiculous would that have been? Hermione Granger with Anthony Goldstein, Ravenclaw's resident closet case?

He made up his mind and laughed along with her, a grin stretching over his own face slowly. She was looking away -- presumably for Ronald, and he felt a need to reassure her. "Obviously, it would have never worked out," Tony said, "what with you and Weasley being destined for each other." And me being a friend of Dorothy, Tony left unsaid.

Would?óÔé¼Ôäóve helped with the ?óÔé¼?£fraternizing with the enemy-- Hermione said, and now Tony laughed genuinely. "Well, if I had known that was at stake," He paused, sipping his wine, "I still would have been a coward and waited until it was too late." Another laugh, an easy smile settling on his face. This was -- good, this was safe and not work and it was funny to look back at this, now, safe in the security of being five years from the war. They should stay on this topic.

"Nu, but I have to ask," Tony began, leaning forward more still on the table to look at Hermione. "How did you do it, third year? You were in every single one of my electives, and you were never late between them. I was always running from hall to hall." Childhood was safe, and he was curious.

the burrow // 19 july 2003

?óÔé¼?ôAnthony!?óÔé¼?Ø It was how she had started her last three conversations -- not with saying Anthony specifically but it was more the tone (and volume) of voice -- complete with the wave of her free hand, her other occupied by her half-full (third) glass of wine. ?óÔé¼?ô?óÔé¼?£Scuse me, sorry,?óÔé¼?Ø she said to the elbow blocking her way, moving around it and heading to where Anthony had been talking with someone seconds before. (She might have been waiting for him to have a free minute.)

She pulled him into a quick, one-armed hug before she took a step back, a wide smile stretched across her lips. ?óÔé¼?ôHow are you??óÔé¼?Ø She?óÔé¼Ôäód seen him two days ago but she couldn?óÔé¼Ôäót dive into her real question without some mingling first.

?óÔé¼?ôDid I miss anything in the meeting yesterday??óÔé¼?Ø She?óÔé¼Ôäód had to -- no, she had chosen to -- miss work the day before for obvious reasons -- as obvious a reason as Hermione in a bridesmaid dress might indicate -- and had been unsuccessful in moving the meeting a day earlier because apparently not everyone was prepped for their meetings days in advance. She switched which hand was holding her wine and had another sip.

Lowering her glass, she wrinkled her nose. ?óÔé¼?ôI?óÔé¼Ôäód imagine you took notes??óÔé¼?Ø She knew that DMLE project management -- are the right people on the right cases, are there any resource gaps? -- wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót her long term career but that didn?óÔé¼Ôäót mean she wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót concerned with her job performance.

@Anthony Goldstein

Anthony Goldstein:
He had to admit, Harry put on a good party. It was fun, seeing all these folks again, classmates and co-conspirators alike. A couple of surprises, too - Tony hadn't known Silverman was in the Order, for one, but there he was with the other Phoenix folks. Anthony had drifted over to schmooze a little bit there, but as the reception continued he retreated to the comfortable orbit of - who else? - Michael Corner. Not that they had anything new to discuss, beyond 'wow, you actually came', but there they were, anyway, feeling like fools in their formalwear.

In the slightly blurred periphery of his vision, Tony saw someone?óÔé¼?ª looming, perhaps, at the edge of a round table with a glass of wine and in the bridesmaids colours. She had been there for a bit, but Anthony was busy talking to his best friend so whatever Granger was waiting for, she would be able to wait a moment longer.

Michael eventually excused himself - his new girlfriend seemed to be completely smashed and in need of assistance. It took approximately fifteen seconds for Hermione to swoop in, which seemed a little on the slow side for the Brightest Witch of Her Age. ?óÔé¼?ôHi, Hermione,?óÔé¼?Ø Tony said, surprised by the hug but not opposed. She certainly wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót a hugger at work - Tipsy Hermione seemed a wee bit more fun already. He lifted his glass n- wine, real wine, not Manischitwitz or any of the kosher wine that Mum kept sending him - as if that was an answer. ?óÔé¼?ôI?óÔé¼Ôäóm celebrating,?óÔé¼?Ø he clarified, ?óÔé¼?ôso I think I?óÔé¼Ôäóm good. How are you??óÔé¼?Ø

?óÔé¼?ôDid I miss anything in the meeting yesterday??óÔé¼?Ø

Tony had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. She really had not changed at all since school - it was amazing she took the day off yesterday at all, if this is what she was going to do at the reception of her best friends?óÔé¼Ôäó wedding. ?óÔé¼?ôDidn?óÔé¼Ôäót miss much, I?óÔé¼Ôäód say,?óÔé¼?Ø Anthony said, trying to remember what had been said at the meeting. Something about the house-elf legislation, something about a new case that Anthony had found exceedingly dull.

?óÔé¼?ôOf course I took notes,?óÔé¼?Ø said Anthony in a high pitched squeal, almost offended that Hermione thought that perhaps he hadn?óÔé¼Ôäót. ?óÔé¼?ôI just didn?óÔé¼Ôäót bring them to a wedding.?óÔé¼?Ø He had even left work yesterday right at five o?óÔé¼Ôäóclock to prepare, almost three hours earlier than he would usually leave the office. ?óÔé¼?ôI can bring them by your office Monday, but right now -?óÔé¼?ô Tony glanced between both of their glasses, almost empty - ?óÔé¼?ômore wine, less work.?óÔé¼?Ø He threw a hand over her shoulder and steered her toward the bar, placing both their glasses out for refills. ?óÔé¼?ôDo you ever take a break, Hermione? Have you ever taken a break in your life??óÔé¼?Ø

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View