Author Topic:  the first frost of winter [gabriella]  (Read 3968 times)

160 Posts
the first frost of winter [gabriella]
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2019, 07:01:27 PM »
She couldnt hear him at first, but every now and then caught a sound behind her. Gabriella was certain that he was following her, but she was being stubborn now, and didnt want to give in to her concern and look back to make sure he was. That was of course exactly what her husband would be waiting for. She wasnt going to fall for it. Not this time. She smiled a little to herself, thinking back on their previous conversation with a light heart. Her horse. At Schull. There was so much more room to roam there, although much of it was overgrown gardens. But to have her horse back, to be able to ride again. And they could get Rhiannon a horse as well! She would love to teach the girl to ride of course theyd have to find someone to come care for them didnt Joseph have a son? And perhaps if Iago was going to stay in Italy, she could just bring Joseph back home with her. But that meant shed have to talk to her brother all of this meant shed have to at least write him and she was dreading that conversation.

Finally reaching the next crossroads, Gabriella looked at each of the symbols carefully, finding the tree and looking down that path. Why hadnÔÇÖt dermod caught up with her yet? She was convinced he should have by now. Perhaps he was waiting for her to continue. Or come back for him. Damn that infuriating man sometimes. She wasnÔÇÖt giving into his childish games. Gabriella was going to find an exit to the maze. Either that or it would be lunch time, and since they didnÔÇÖt bring any food with them, Dermod would be forced to come find her, so he could take her back to the estate and stuff her full of more food. She grinned. It was foolproof. And there was the next crossroads. She could already make out what path had the tree from here---

Gabriella let out a terrified shriek as she was suddenly surrounded by frantically flying bright green birds, her arms flying up to protect and shield her face as she nearly fell into the hedges, scrambling to get away from them. Birds. After the frost. And she was pretty sure these birds didnÔÇÖt exist, or if they did, it was somewhere tropical. It took a moment for her mind to stop panicking and catch up with what had just happened. ÔÇ£DERMODÔÇØ she let out a breath; ÔÇ£LARKIN MORFESSA THAT WAS NOT FUNNY! NOT AT ALL! STOP BEING A PETULANT CHILD!ÔÇØ she had no idea how far away he was from her as she picked herself up off the ground in the circle she was in, brushing herself off almost aggressively.
https://i.imgur.com/1NlPvL0.png\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' />

ÔÇ£What happens when people open their hearts? They get better.ÔÇØ ÔÇò Haruki Murakami

https://i.imgur.com/TbGPqzD.png\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' />

3387 Posts 60 "straight" played by Carys
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 05:46:14 PM »
He'd expected her to squeal and instinctively duck away from the small birds, but unfortunately Dermod's spellwork was less exact than it had once been in the days when he'd had two entire hands. Casting left-handed, he had put a little more force into the conjuration than had evidently been necessary, and the expected five or six birds were closer to twenty. They erupted from the dark hedge and more than a couple flew straight for Gabriella's face, and he heard her shriek with actual fear. For a brief moment he felt something akin to horror and the knowledge that he'd gone too far, and his only action - more a reflex than a thought - was to reach her as soon as possible in case she was injured.

And then she shouted his name. His...full name, which any husband in the world should know means that they have overstepped the line and are in serious trouble. So naturally, Dermod reacted in a way that few other men would dare to do and breathed a sigh of relief. She wouldn't be shouting like that if she'd actually been hurt! In that moment of near-panic he had almost reached her, but she hadn't seen, still distracted as she was by brushing leaves and little bits of detritus from her new coat, and now he swept her into his arms as the small conjured birds flew up into the sky and vanished one by one.

ÔÇ£You are quite, quite adorable when you're angryÔÇØ he told her, adjusting her hat which had got knocked sideways during her landing in the hedge and ignoring her obvious annoyance ÔÇ£...and I went too far, and I shouldn't have done that.ÔÇØ It was as close to an apology as the Irishman was ever likely to make, but he didn't entirely regret his actions. It had been a long time since he had laughed, genuinely and with spontaneity, and he already felt better for it.

ÔÇ£Which way are we heading now?ÔÇØ he asked, realising they were in another circle. This was smaller than the last, lacking benches, though again there were several choices of pathway. ÔÇ£I was going to surprise you, but if we get back to the rose gardens...ÔÇØ he reached inside his cloak and extracted a small cloth bag (which was equipped with a basic extension charm) which he handed to her. Currently the only things it contained were a pair of gardening gloves and some secateurs. ÔÇ£I thought you might like to take cuttings of some of the roses hereÔÇØ he offered.

X X X X  X X X

160 Posts
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 06:56:56 PM »
Getting lifted up, so that her shoes were barely brushing the ground, Gabriella put her arms around his shoulders instinctively, though she was still rather angry with him. She knew heÔÇÖd only been teasing her but the laughter at her expense earlier still smarted a little. ÔÇ£That wasnÔÇÖt funny Dermod, I could have torn my new coat.ÔÇØ but she was smiling a little as she nestled comfortably in his arms, at least until he spoke. Her eyes narrowed and her lips curled into a pouty little frown, but was the fact that he smiled a little that both infuriated her more, and in a strange way, soothed her. She was alright, and finding the toilets on their epic quest had been funny.

An exasperated sigh followed as she rested her head on his shoulder. ÔÇ£Well I suppose I can forgive you.ÔÇØ she teased, allowing him to fix her hat for her, even if it pulled the pins more loose then the fall had. It was less windy here so they werenÔÇÖt quite needed, though sheÔÇÖd have to be mindful of it when they got home, assuming the wind off the ocean was still tearing through the estate. ÔÇ£Well I was following the tree before your little birds decided to have my hair for lunch.ÔÇØ she started as he set her back down, before handing her the pouch. She opened it with some mild confusion but then smiled as she pulled out the cutting implements. ÔÇ£Oh Dermod that's a wonderful idea! And it's just the right season for it too.ÔÇØ granted it was a mite bit early, but as cold as it had been up on the estate she doubted it would be a problem. Her roses there were already dormant, and these probably wouldnÔÇÖt be too far behind. ÔÇ£Now to see if i can remember which colors were wich...ÔÇØ?á

She stopped then, before carefully slipping them back in the bag. ÔÇ£But first, IÔÇÖm going to find us a way out of this mudblood cursed maze!ÔÇØ she looked back at the ground, slipping the pouch into her coat pocket, before finding the tree again. ÔÇ£Even if it makes us miss Lunch!ÔÇØ she exclaimed, linking her arm with his and gesturing towards the path she was wanting to take, allowing her husband to take the lead once more.

ÔÇ£What happens when people open their hearts? They get better.ÔÇØ ÔÇò Haruki Murakami

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 02:41:39 PM »
What could have been a stimulating argument faded away as she pressed against him, and of course he was forgiven, and Dermod quickly forgot that he had ever been concerned that he might have hurt the Welshwoman by his actions. Instead, his momentary concern was replaced with pride in his foresight in bringing the tools with which she could add to the rose gardens back on the estate. The fact that the bushes may have been developed and grown by muggles entirely slipped his notice. ÔÇ£Cut some of each, then you'll be sure of having your favourite. And you can always extend your own gardenÔÇØ he suggested. Especially if there was the potential of a willing assistant for her, so she didn't have to do the heavier physical work herself.

They settled back into relaxed companionship, following the symbol that denoted a tree. Dermod wondered what that was going to signify. The statue of the girls playing had no immediate relevance to the rose garden, and the rearing horse certainly wasn't symbolic of the lavatory...unless it frightened someone so much that they... he snorted with amusement, managing to turn it into a swift clearing of his throat before Gabriella noticed and asked what he was laughing at. But regardless, the statues had little in common with the designs on the flagstones. ÔÇ£Will we find a woodland next, do you think?ÔÇØ he enquired idly as they came to another crossways. Somehow Dermod had taken the lead again, and they chose the correct path almost in unison without the need for further discussion.

ÔÇ£Our discussion earlier was interruptedÔÇØ he said as they reached another decision and again chose what they believed to be the correct route without debate ÔÇ£but if you would like to bring your horse back to Schull, I can see about renovating the stable blockÔÇØ. It sounded like a generous offer, but after four years of virtual reclusiveness on both their parts, it was as pleasant for Dermod to have new projects to concentrate on as it was to make the suggestion. As they talked, they could see glimpses of something large and white through the bushes, which seemed slightly less well-cared for and thinner here. Being the taller of the two, Dermod saw that this one was tall and thin, perhaps a human figure of some kind. Whatever it was, it seemed that, after a wait of almost five years, Gabriella was finally about to solve the maze.

X X X X  X X X

160 Posts
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 08:15:08 PM »
Far too pleased with her husbandÔÇÖs thoughtfulness to remain annoyed any longer, gabriella rested her head against his arm, a smile on her face as they walked. ÔÇ£We really should see about coming here in the spring...ÔÇØ she murmured, letting her gloved fingers trail along the evergreen hedgerow. It was a gorgeous place, and she had been thrilled each time they had come, but she really wanted to see it in its full glory. ÔÇ£And perhaps we can tour the outside of the maze next time, rather then using it to navigate from one place to another...ÔÇØ she murmured, only half teasing. As fun as the maze was, theyÔÇÖd barely seen a third of what this place had to offer. She really wanted to get a broom and see it from above at some point, though she hadnÔÇÖt been on a broom in ages. ÔÇ£I think thatÔÇÖs exactly what weÔÇÖre going to find. Either that or a tree thatÔÇÖs had a lavatory cut into its trunk, because that would make about as much sense!!!ÔÇØ the frustration, was back, but this time with a laugh.

She turned her head into his arm affectionately as he brought up her horse again. I would like that a lot. she murmured softly, slipping her hand into his and straightening up as they walked. Have you ridden much? Id love for us to ride together. Rhiannon too. Perhaps Joseph still has contacts where we can find the two of you good horses as well. she was positively thrilled by the idea but wasnt about to start jumping up and down. That would have just been undignified. At least until she saw the statue, and picked up her pace, rounding the last bend and seeing another arch like by the rose gardens and the lavatory she tried not to get too excited, walking over to the arch and looking through it.

Gabriella turned around with a grin and threw her arms out. I did it! she exclaimed, beaming. It was indeed a gorgeous grove of trees, and unlike the other one, NOT surrounded by hedges that would prevent their passage into other parts of the expansive estate. The Dryad statue was ignored in her jubilation, as she continued beaming brightly, giving a little twirl and almost stepping through the arch, before turning back to him. I believe I owe you a name. Although im tempted to call it the Confundus Hedge. she giggled a little at her own joke.

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2019, 02:54:37 PM »
Dermod had been serious earlier when he had agreed they could return here in the Spring. It was often a source of frustration that there were so many beautiful places that wizardkind could only visit by disguising their abilities and superiority. He very much liked the idea of evicting the muggles, even for but a single day - so they could roam freely.?á ÔÇ£We certainly could do that, but where's the fun when one doesn't get lost at least four times or discover an unexpected bathroom?ÔÇØ he responded. Now they knew the secret to solving the maze though, there was a knowledge or at least comfortable belief that they were going in the right direction, and the sense of anticipation had waned somewhat. Instead it felt somewhat like a relaxing stroll along a woodland path.

ÔÇ£I rode when I was younger. A few years after I finished school I spent some time staying with friends on their estate where they bred a variety of species. I used the layout of their grounds during the final chapters scene in Consort from Death's past, just before the heroine...ÔÇØ he caught himself; on the offchance there were any of his novels Gabriella hadn't read, he didn't want to spoil it for her. ÔÇ£anyway, I don't imagine it's something one forgets. And if Rhiannon can ride a broom, I'm sure she can learn to ride a horse easily enough. We should ask her what she thinks of the idea.ÔÇØ Certainly Dermod liked it; and learning to ride a horse wasn't that different from riding a broom; except a horse had a mind of its own, and couldn't fly, unless... he was thoughtful for a few moments then, but those moments coincided with rounding the corner and coming face to face with the statue.

It was, in Dermod's opinion, by far the superior sculpture of those they had so far encountered. He paused beneath it while Gabriella walked ahead to look through the arch, determined not to laugh if it turned out she had discovered an overgrown graveyard or perhaps the taxation department of the Ministry of Magic. When he heard her exclamation he left his admiration of the statue and walked over to join her. ÔÇ£That...would be a terrible nameÔÇØ he said with a smile, taking her in his arms once again ÔÇ£and I would be dreadfully disappointed to think that after five years, that is the best you could come up with.ÔÇØ He kissed her briefly, and then led the way through the archway.

It was indeed a beautiful grove of trees, a mix of species from the huge, ancient oak that was directly in front of them, through a knot of tall birches, a drooping willow and even some evergreens. To their right, a pathway wound off into the distance through the woodlands.

X X X X  X X X

160 Posts
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2019, 10:24:29 PM »
There was a smile on her face that didnt seem to fade with time, a resting peace within her that was growing more common as of late. I suppose getting repeatedly lost does have its charm if im getting lost with you... there was an almost almost flirtatious tone to her voice; this was Gabriella after all, and a scant few circumstances notwithstanding, it was almost as if the young woman was incapable of overcoming her shyness to actually flirt. But she was far more eager to talk about the horses, even as the wind picked up a little, flicking loose strands of hair around her face. Before the Heroine defeats her captor to return to her love? she grinned at him. Gabriella had indeed read all of his books, though there were a few shed only read after theyd started seeing each other as she was firmly of the belief that you could get a lot about someones personality from their writing.

But she was glad that he was amenable to the idea of riding, and more so of getting Rhiannon her own horse. It would definitely be a fun conversation over christmas break. And one that she would be thrilled to have. She smiled thinking about the girls surprise when she saw gabriella at the train. If she focused on that, the whole prospect seemed so much less daunting. We can talk about that over christmas perhaps. It feels good to have plans again. she added as he pulled her into his arms and laughed at her first suggestion for a name. Shed been trying to buy herself time, but that hadnt worked so well. Although there were a lot of fountains here even if most of them were off. Most of the statues theyd seen were actually fountains even if the water was off.

The petite woman allowed her husband to lead her through the arch into the grove of trees, marveling at the massive oak in front of them. ÔÇ£Oh its just lovely here...ÔÇØ she breathed, looking around them. ÔÇ£I think this may be my second favorite locale...ÔÇØ she smiled and rested her head on his arm, before reaching out her hand to touch the ancient oak. ÔÇ£This place is full of enchanting surprises...ÔÇØ she looked back at him and smiled. ÔÇ£How about Fountains of hope then? For a name.ÔÇØ

She let go of him for a moment to wander amongst the trees, fingertips caressing the bark though her gloved hands, looking up into the barren boughs. ÔÇ£Shame thereÔÇÖs no more leaves for us to catch...ÔÇØ she murmured, looking back at him. ÔÇ£Which way do you suppose is the Rose Garden?ÔÇØ though she sounded as though she wasnÔÇÖt quite ready to leave.

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2019, 07:48:40 AM »
So she had read it. He wasn't surprised, but rather pleased that she'd recalled the plotline - such as it was - so easily. Dermod was less proud of his earlier works; having allowed himself to be, if not manipulated, then certainly guided by his first publisher to add scenes into his works that would allow them to appeal to a wider audience. The resulting love scene towards the end of that book was one example; though when the novel had sold three times the quantity of his previous two volumes he had, rather cynically one might suggest, began making certain that future works appealed to a wider readership. He even imagined that Gabriella might have glossed over the more lurid passages in some of his books, the ones that might have tipped his works from regular literature all the way into horror at the quill of a less skilled writer.

ÔÇ£Yes...yes, I like that. And next time we visit, I promise all the fountains will be workingÔÇØ A small flock of https://www.birdguides.com/gallery/birds/aegithalos-caudatus/329439/' rel='nofollow noopener' target='_blank'>birds, tiny and with ridiculously oversized tails, fluttered in the nearly bare branches, twittering to themselves as they presumably searched for food. The Sun had appeared from behind a cloud, casting the grove in golden bands of light and shade. Dermod watched as the welshwoman walked amongst the trees,, touching first one trunk and then another, waiting for a moment when her back was turned, then he pulled out his wand once more. A moment later a single, perfect oak leaf, just turned golden, fluttered down directly from above her, moving more slowly than gravity and the breeze would normally allow. The tree Gabriella was standing beneath happened to be a beech as well, but he hadn't thought of that part...

Dermod had a decent memory for directions, even though it was something he didn't need to use often. Who worried about the location of a shop or restaurant when it was the simplest thing in the world to apparate directly into the correct street? But on this occasion, he didn't need to think of that at all. ÔÇ£If we keep the maze to our right, we should reach the rose gardensÔÇØ he said, after a quick glance up to check where the sun was just visible through the clouds ÔÇ£though we can stay here a little longer if you prefer?ÔÇØ

X X X X  X X X

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2019, 12:45:32 PM »
Dermod stepped between two of the trees so he was now standing in a shaft of sunlight, the morning rays casting his reflection half the length of the grove. During the summer months he hated the warmth, the sunlight, much preferring to be indoors or at least secluded in the shade where there was a strong breeze to prevent the air from stagnating. But here, in the latter part of the autumn, the weaker rays of the sun were welcome, warming. From his position at one side of the grove he watched her catch the leaf. Her own smile and careful examination of it cause his own lips to turn up at the corners. She knew it was his doing, of course, but he had never meant it to be a secret.

ÔÇ£Oh, I'd say there is definitely magic here. Now, at leastÔÇØ he said with a smirk before returning the kiss. He imagined that leaf was going to end up between the pages of her journal once they returned home. A rustling in the higher branches caused him to look up; a crow had landed and was making itself comfortable. Several ancient-looking nests clung to the uppermost branches; seemingly defying both logic and nature by their tenuous attachment to the trees. ÔÇ£At least he didn't flutter down for you to catchÔÇØ the writer added, gesturing towards the crow even as he took a step back. After his trick with the green birds, it was likely Gabriella would find this joke less than amusing...it was definitely time to leave this place.

In the direction he had suggested taking, there was a rudimentary pathway between two pine trees. Once it had clearly been strewn with fresh gravel to mark it out clearly, but grasses and other small plants had long since grown through the gaps, with the result that it was only recognisable because there was a short post at waist height on either side with a small red band around the top. ÔÇ£What do you suppose that means?ÔÇØ he mused, glancing at the post and immediately dismissing it from his thoughts. Other than a marker to show the route - perhaps the muggles needed help to know which way to walk. Dermod offered his arm to Gabriella, this path being somewhat wider than the ones in the maze and easier for them to walk side by side without clinging to one another. The trees gradually thinned, the birdsong became less noticeable in the quiet as they stepped out into the full sunlight.

It was a little warmer now, but still with an undeniable chill in the air. Where the sun had yet to touch, there was still frost, though it hadn't stopped a small group of rabbits which were sitting on the path ahead, nibbling the grass. Clearly they were benefitting from this path being less well-trodden. One of the animals sat on its haunches to watch as they approached, and Dermod was struck with the sudden amusing idea that he could take all three of them with silent hexes before they would have the opportunity to run away. The only thing that stopped him was the suspicion that Gabriella would be less than amused, and probably would refuse his suggestion of rabbit pie for dinner. And, as if it could sense his thoughts, first one and then the other two rabbits bolted for cover. ÔÇ£I don't think they've seen people here for a while...ÔÇØ he commented thoughtfully.

X X X X  X X X

160 Posts
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2019, 03:22:20 PM »
The sound of GabriellaÔÇÖs soft laughter broke through the faint clicking of the branches and the distant sound of muggle automobiles as they kissed. After all, the presence of the two of them brought magic to this place, even if it had been devoid of it beforehand. It was with reluctance that Gabriella separated from him to continue their pleasant morning stroll, tucking the leaf inside her coat for safe keeping. It was just a leaf, she supposed, but the gesture was sweet and Gabriella was sentimental. ÔÇ£And the crow wouldnÔÇÖt have been an issue. I know heÔÇÖs there, and thereÔÇÖs not twenty of him.ÔÇØ she teased with a little verbal jab at his earlier joke. The path that they were taking was winding and relaxing, comfortable and sheltered from the worst of the wind by the trees.

Gabriella stopped and stared at the little stakes. Perhaps theyre a polite request not to step off the path? she suggested. Before smirking and stepping into the taller grass, looking back at him and grinning like shed just done something horrifically felonious. Not that the witch hadnt done her fair share of illegal activities. Dermod knew, after all, that the witch had spent a good bit of time breaking into peoples homes to relieve them of their precious books. There was a twinge of longing as she thought about that, but one that did not show on her face as she joined him on the path, giggling at her own childish immaturity. I just couldnt help myself. she murmured softly, biting her lip and blushing a little, grinning.

They slowed when they rounded the bend and saw several small furry rabbits chewing on the grass that was poking up between the gravel. She smiled, stopping and watching them with delight, completely unaware of her husbandÔÇÖs rather sociopathic thoughts. ÔÇ£It does seem that way, does it not?ÔÇØ she murmured softly, amused and looking back up at him. ÔÇ£I often see rabbits out in the gardens, but I rarely get this close...ÔÇØ she breathed, before they continued down the path. It was finally starting to improve, before it eventually became a nice looking walkway. ÔÇ£Perhaps the path is meant for the gardeners and not visitors?ÔÇØ she added, looking back the way they had come, barely able to see the path where it faded away.

But of course Dermod had been correct. The two of them were in fact very close to the rose garden. ÔÇ£Your sense of direction is impeccable as always.ÔÇØ gabriella murmured sweetly, ÔÇ£IÔÇÖd be completely lost without you I suspect.ÔÇØ?á Gabriella had not gone many places without someone escorting her, not as a holdover from older times where young women of status were protected and sheltered, but by choice. She didnÔÇÖt feel safe when out and about, at least in the light of day. And now, after the fire, knowing there was someone out there wanting to end her life, she certainly didnÔÇÖt feel safe now; at least without Dermod.

She smiled as they stepped into the rose garden, pulling the bag back out of her coat and beginning to look each of the plants over, trying to decide which of the stems would make for the best cuttings.

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2019, 06:01:05 PM »
As she stepped proudly off the path he laughed, offering her a hand to help her back through the long grass again. Yes, it was a childish thing to do, but he understood, perhaps. There had been precious little laughter for either of them since the fall of the Dark Lord, and only now they were returning to the people they had once been. Or rather, the people they should have been. The fact that Gabriella saw rabbits in the grounds showed how much attention Dermod had paid to such mundane matters over the past few years. There had been a time when he noticed everything, no matter it's importance, because that was the way his mind worked. How it had had to work, because missing one tiny detail could mean the difference between life and death.

He hadn't considered that this path might not be provided for public use. It made sense, given how overgrown it was here; far pleasanter than the perfectly-manicured pathways one often found in such places. And that would explain the little post with the coloured band on it, telling people they weren't allowed to be there ÔÇ£That's possible. But in fact, that would mean you were being perfectly polite and well-behaved by stepping off the path back thereÔÇØ Dermod pointed out triumphantly, raising an eyebrow as he spoke.

When they reached the rose garden, Gabriella's words made him smile yet again. Unsurprisingly the Irishman had always appreciated receiving compliments, as much as he enjoyed feeling important, being needed...and it was her other, softer comment that made him pause, turning to look in her eyes ÔÇ£You'll never be lost againÔÇØ he told her, and the wonder was that he meant it, and they were quiet then along the rest of the path which did indeed reach the rose gardens, mostly dormant now but for a few hardy specimens that still clung tenuously to the last of their shrivelled, wilted flowers. ÔÇ£Do you remember which ones you liked?ÔÇØ he asked as she pulled out the bag. Despite having lived at Schull his entire life Dermod knew little about the gardens, having always trusted the women of the estate to take care of them. Though he freely admitted, the estate had never looked so well-cared for as it did now, with Gabriella in charge of the grounds.

X X X X  X X X

160 Posts
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2019, 09:55:41 PM »
ÔÇ£Of course that would also mean we were both being felonius just by taking the little shortcut...ÔÇØ she grinned softly, pleased with herself still at that little astute observation. Gabriella put the tools away momentarily, removing her hat, and tucking it under one arm, pulling the hat pins out carefully so as not to disturb her crown style braid. The wind was picking up again here, now that they were out of the woods, and seemed eager to lift it off her head. It wasnÔÇÖt strong, but the hat was light enough that it wouldnÔÇÖt have taken much. She smiled at him while carefully re-pinning her hat, their eyes meeting as he softly answered her, the petite womanÔÇÖs heart melting a little at his words. Gabriella had felt lost without him, lately, even though he was right across the hall, and despite the current subject of their conversation, she could tell by his tone of voice that there was more behind them then a simple wrong turn in a maze.

Once done, gabriella pulled the tools back out and pulled the work gloves over her thin leather ones. They were soft enough that it didnt impede her work any, at the very least. Unfortunately it's been five years, so even if i did remember, i dont know if theres been transplants or plants that have died though the leaves give away which ones are the Heritage Roses... she made her way back to the back of the garden, the same place theyd been five years ago, pleased to see that their number had only grown. She didnt have any of these back at the estate. I might as well take a cutting from each of them. Have fun and see what sort of unique colors i get come spring. she smiled up at him before crouching to examine the plants more closely.

It wasnÔÇÖt hard, at least for her, to figure out what stems to cut for good grafting stock. Her O on her Herbology owl had to pay off somehow. She smiled a little at the thought, knowing full well that over the years it had paid off in other ways, but sheÔÇÖd never really considered a profession, one being forced upon her right out of school with no consideration for her own desires. And now, there wasnÔÇÖt any need for it. If she wanted something, she had only to ask and dermod would be more than happy to provide it. It wasnÔÇÖt as though they lacked for money. But she did wish there was some way other than tending to the vast gardens on the estate she could put her various skills to use. ÔÇ£Of course IÔÇÖll want to get these back to the estate rather quickly, although seeing as it is almost noon, we should head back soon regardless.ÔÇØ

There were only twenty of the Heritage roses, though from what Gabriella remembered there were several different colors and shades, though these would change based on what she grafted them onto. And that would be entirely coincidental. Some orangey peach colors would be nice, but in the end it would just be waiting for spring to see what she ended up with.?á Straightening up, gabriella carefully placed the tools and gloves back in the bag with her cuttings, though her thoughts went back to the greenhouse sheÔÇÖd discovered with Cliona, wondering how hard it would be to find it againÔǪ ÔÇ£Dermod. Your sister took me on an adventure the other day, through a secret passageÔǪ. But there was a sitting room, with one wall entirely glass, that looked out on a greenhouse. Do you think you could help me find it again?ÔÇØ

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2019, 10:51:44 AM »
ÔÇ£Take one of everything, thenÔÇØ he said agreeably, strolling a short distance away while the young woman bent to select cuttings from the roses, or whatever it was one did to grow new ones. For a few moments he looked up at the rapidly-moving clouds as they danced across the pale sky. Since they'd arrived, the strong winds that blew in from the Southern Irish coast had begun to be mirrored here, and it would be quite pleasant to be home and back indoors, with the elves serving whisky-laced tea as a prelude to the midday meal. When he looked back, Gabriella was bending over one of the roses, cutting off what looked to be a dead branch and laying it carefully into the bag, which looked quite full by now, despite the extension charm. While Dermod had been the one to suggest that she might like to bring examples of these roses back to Schull, he had little idea of how that worked and had simply informed the elves of what he intended, assuming they would provide the correct tools.

Now, as he crossed back to join her, she straightened up at almost the moment he reached her. ÔÇ£Are you ready to leave - for now?ÔÇØ he asked, just as the strongest gust of wind yet blew across the gardens. A few scraps of thorn and twig, presumably the offcuts Gabriella hadn't needed, blew around their feet. He hoped it wasn't raining back home, or she would struggle to plant these today. Though it seemed his wife had similar ideas. Unfortunately, Dermods reaction to her question probably wasn't what she expected. Rather than agreeing to help her find the room she spoke of, he spontaneously burst into laughter, having to turn away while he got control of himself.

ÔÇ£Forgive me...you've said nothing wrongÔÇØ he said as he tried to contain his amusement ÔÇ£Of course we'll find that room, it's been a long time since it was used...ÔÇØ He swallowed hard, shook his head, and wrapped an arm around her. ÔÇ£She took you through...a secret passage..?ÔÇØ Dermod was still fighting the urge to laugh; not at Gabriella but at his sister's behaviour. ÔÇ£Please don't be upset, but Cliona... that is to say, yes, you can certainly use the greenhouse. But if you go to the far end of the back passageway, up the stairs and along the landing; you'll find a doorway that leads to another staircase leading directly into that sitting room...I have no idea why she...she didn't go that way...ÔÇØ he gave up and snorted with laughter again at the thought of his siter leading them through the narrow space that Dermod hadn't used since he was a child. But who knew why Cliona ever did anything?

X X X X  X X X

160 Posts
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2019, 11:54:54 AM »
Seeing him return to her, Gabriella tucked a strand of loose hair behind her ear and brushed off the front of her coat, wanting to keep it pristine and new. Granted she could not help but feel like he was buttering her up for something, or perhaps just trying to make up for the past four years. And in her own way she was as well, sharing her poetry with him, agreeing to do things that she was reluctant to do; just to spend time with him. She rather suspected that in time their efforts would die down, and they would both be far more comfortable; no longer feeling the need to do such in an effort to make up for lost time. But for right now, it seemed to be the very thing they both needed. She pulled the drawstring shut on the bag and replaced it within her coat, more than happy to answer him. ÔÇ£Yes, IÔÇÖm ready to go home.ÔÇØ

Though their departure was delayed by her question, even as they got ready to do just that, and his laughter at it, before he reacted with a hasty explanation that it had not been at her heÔÇÖd been laughing, but his sister. Her eyes widened as he told her how easy it was to reach the room sheÔÇÖd seen through peepholes, shaking her head with a smile of her own. ÔÇ£I think i might know why. Though donÔÇÖt expect it to make any more sense then not knowing. It seems our dear Cliona has developed an aversion to door handles as of late, or perhaps only that day. Who knows.ÔÇØ but it heartened her to know where the greenhouse was, and that he had no problems with her using them.

Id love to bring it back into use, both the greenhouse and its adjoining room. She added hopefully. The elves could easily help her clear both spaces out, and she was eager to have a space of her own where she could work during the winter months when the estate was covered in snow. Those times were always harder for her to keep her spirits up; and this would do her a world of good. That and it would be nice to see more of the castle in use. It was such a big place and gabriella often wondered how many people had once lived there, a little saddened by the idea that the whole of the family now rested in three people, and only one of them a child; not counting herself in that number. Shall we head out before the wind tears my hat from my head, then?

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2019, 03:11:43 PM »
ÔÇ£Ah yes, I'd forgotten about thatÔÇØ he said, still chuckling. Actually Cliona's aversion to door handles dated back quite some way, certainly Dermod could barely recall a time when she hadn't either used a scarf or handkerchief to avoid touching a door handle, or on some occasions simply sat on the floor outside until somebody realised and opened it for her. Personally, the writer doubted whether that had been the only reason his sister had decided to squeeze between walls and climb through long-forgotten gaps, but as he was sane, he couldn't fathom what her other reasons had been.

Seeing Gabriella tuck the bag inside her coat, he pulled her closer, and asked, more out of habit to let her know they were about to apparate away, ÔÇ£are you ready?ÔÇØ It required no answer, and he paused an instant longer before adding in a quieter tone ÔÇ£until next timeÔÇØ. Dermod wasn't overly concerned with seeing the place in the Spring, but manipulating the minds of all those muggles would be hugely entertaining. He was already looking forward to the challenge. Such was his final thought here before he switched his full concentration to their destination, thinking of the estate grounds as he turned them around and...

ÔÇ£We're backÔÇØ he said unnecessarily, the gusts of wind battering into them as they stood in the exposed part of the grounds they'd left an hour or two earlier. Sure enough, the beginnings of drizzle were starting to sweep in from the Irish sea, lending a misty cast to the familiar surroundings. Still holding Gabriella close, he reached up and put his own hand on her head, holding her hat in place until she opened her eyes and recovered from the apparation to could hold it herself. Not wishing to remain out here any longer than they had to, as soon as the Welshwoman had released him, he offered an arm to lead her back to indoors.

ÔÇ£Would you like me to show you the alternative entrance to the greenhouse now? I imagine we'll have time before lunchÔÇØ he said as they approached the castle doorways. Dermod was unsure of the exact time, but it was early by his standards, perhaps not even noon yet. They would have an hour or more before lunch. As they mounted the steps, the right hand door swung open to reveal Sorrel waiting, bowing low as they stepped inside.

[OOC: Dermod out...or rather, in!]

X X X X  X X X

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal