"Oh it's not a big deal," Madeline said flippantly, waving her hands through the air flippantly. She was normally at the bakery way before seven in the morning to get started on the enriched dough for a number of savoury items. "Or I can get someone to drop them off. Regardless of what happens, they'll be ready in time for whatever you want to do with them," she said brightly. He had such a large family, she imagined he was showered with love on his birthday and she felt a pang of something that felt like jealousy. It wasn't that her birthdays weren't fun, they were and she was always spoiled growing up but she was from a rather small family.
Maddie winced. "Your poor parents," she said, genuinely troubled by the amount of kids his mum and dad needed to buy for. There would be no respite for them and December was an expensive month as it stood. "I bet it's never boring in your house," she grinned at him, a stray curl escaping the hold of the ponytail and curling against her shoulder, hanging over her ear as she blew at it. She was impressed with how hard his parents must have worked to provide for three boys. Boys were tough but girls were worse. The more they spoke, the more interested she was becoming.
Unable to help herself, Madeline snorted. "Oh she would love you," she laughed with a shake of her head. She knew her mum would be pleased as punch if she walked through the front door with Torsten. Her eyes would probably pop out but it was too early to be thinking about that. "She's a headstrong woman. Very bossy," she said fondly, feeling a pang of homesickness. "In fact, I'm pretty certain she's a huge fan of yours. Dad, too," she said as she frowned. Madeline didn't follow Quidditch. The games lasted too long and she got bored and she didn't see the attraction.
"Eighteen, nineteen," she mumbled, pressing the little up arrow on the timer before turning to face him, looking a bit sheepish. "I take them out a little early," she said, referring to the cupcakes and the traditional twenty minute cooking time. "They're cooked but they don't dry out," she explained as if Torsten actually cared at all about the moisture content of her baked goods.
"Really?" Madeline asked, turning to face him with wide eyes and she found herself starting to smile gently. The fact that he could cook, no matter how well, made him that much more attractive. "That sounds interesting," she said, genuinely interested. "So you left the Ministry for sport?" she asked. She could see the pull. Money, fame, travel, girls. It probably beat sitting at a desk for hours every day. "Did you like it?" She asked conversationally as the timer started to countdown, wiping her hands on the hem of her apron swiftly. "I imagine you like Quidditch better," she said with a smile.
"I don't mind sarcastic," she quipped swiftly. "In fact I'm rather comfortable with it." When Torsten said he was quite similar, she blushed, accidentally stating that she must be comfortable with him. Shoot. "Really?" Maddie asked, shock clear in her voice and on her face. She would have thought he'd have the opposite problem. He was handsome and famous, she would have bet on him bringing three girls to every single family party. "Why's that?" She asked, genuinely curious. Her dating history was brief and disastrous. But she liked dating. It was fun to meet new people and now that she was single again, she could have some fun.
She'd been propositioned a few times in Paris. The French were very amorous. They extolled her virtues as she passed in the streets, wolf whistling, calling after her. One even offered her a flower, it was a bit full on. Her French was pretty much perfect now so she understood the lewd comments some made about her. Dating was a minefield.
Maddie laughed, feeling a bit self conscious as she folded her arms tight around her slender body. "I shouldn't really bother him when he's not at work," she said as she chewed on her lower lip nervously. She didn't want to be left alone in a room full of strangers. She offered him a grateful smile as she hugged her arms to her chest. "Thank you," she said softly, already fretting about what to wear. Did she have anything appropriate? What about shoes? And her hair? Should she straighten her natural curls? How much make up was too much make up? She was being ridiculous. She was trying to impress a man she'd known for less than half an hour.
"Well like I said, I was just going to spend Christmas in my underwear," she began. "And unless you're wanting to do that too, let's stay at the party. I don't mind. I like a party." She laughed, feeling a bit more relaxed as her shoulders softened just a little. "Don't throw me in at the deep end, yeah?" she joked. "And I'll have to introduce myself. "Hi, I'm Maddie and I'm not his girlfriend"," she said, looking a little anxious. They really weren't even friends. She had no idea how Torsten was going to introduce her to his family. An acquaintance? A maker of cupcakes? "Oh no. What if someone asks me if we're dating?" she asked with wide eyes, having a horrible vision of her disappointing his grandmother.