The sweetshop was a merciful burst of color on the barren street. It was all kinds of crowded, obviously; anywhere worth going was on these weekends. Henry just hoped they wouldn’t sell out of Peppermint Toads by the time he could get anywhere near a counter. Toads weren’t very romantic, he figured, so probably not.
As he was trying to decide which bizarre wizard sweet must be most popular on Valentine’s Day (Ice Mice for an excuse to put your arm around your shivering date? Toothflossing Stringmints for them to eat before you kiss?) he scoped out the groups of students that were flocked around the door. Many were in couples, of course, but there were more groups of just friends than he’d expected. He recognized some of his housemates, but they seemed to be having a very intense conversation with a lot of hand gestures, so he thought it would be more prudent for him not to intrude. A trio of third-year Ravenclaws were looking bored. He’d never spoken to them before, but maybe they’d be his best friends after today. It was always possible.
Someone came up behind him and Henry jumped about a foot. He found himself looking up at Terryn Kuthe, and lifted his mittened hand to his face hurriedly to hide that his nose was running again. “Oh, erm, hi!” he stammered. “Yeah! That sounds good!” Henry was a little stunned. It wasn’t often that he was approached by anyone to hang out, and he cleared his throat, determined not to get flustered and mess it up. “Yeah, I thought I’d just stock up while I’m here. And it’ll be warm. The weather’s lousy.”
Was he already talking about the weather? Oh, Merlin.
“I’m Henry, by the way,” he said. He had sometimes wondered whether he was well-known among the upper years, but if Terry had felt the need to introduce himself, obviously not. Maybe this would be something of an “in.” “Not a romantic either, hm?” Henry smiled a little. “Though I could have been meeting my girlfriend somewhere. It’s not too kind of you to just assume.” After a moment, he regretted saying that very much. “Only joking. I’m obviously single, I don’t mind.”
Desperate to put his embarrassment behind him, he inclined his head towards Honeydukes’ door. “So, shall we?”