While usually quite icy in interactions with strangers, the situation was too funny not to laugh at. "It's quite alright." She assured the young man, who genuinely seemed apologetic for having caused such a chain reaction. "Right." Emily pursed her lips and nodded, tucking her thumbs awkwardly into her jeans pockets as she stood and looked at him. "I've got a wand. You'd think after being a witch for so many years, I'd remember, but muggleborn habits die hard, I suppose." And it was true. Emily liked manually cleaning her house, manually shelving books, manually doing... so many things. Manually writing, too. Doing things with her hands seemed to heal. They were talented hands, anyway, and she relied on her talents to determine her self-worth.
It was still strange to be able to say the word muggleborn out loud and to use it to claim her own identity. Times were changing, and for the better. She was pleased. The whole world could know her name and her brilliance as one package in the coming years, and it was something she looked forward to -- her real name being associated with her work. During the war, that hadn't been the case. Emily still wouldn't publish any fiction or poetry unless it was under a pseudonym, but, it was a start. Her bright yellow-green eyes surveyed him carefully, and the witch shifted her weight, listening to him stammer and stutter about. It was kind of endearing, actually. "I'm not sure. I've worked with a lot of people in the past," She told him, chewing on the corner of her lip before a little light in her head seemed to flicker on.
"Wait," Idly, she pointed toward him, narrowing her eyes as she spoke through her thought process. "Maybe I know you from school? I mean, from when I was in school," The Ravenclaw clarified, understanding because she possessed a pair of working eyeballs that he was a little older than she was. Not too old. Was there such a thing as too old where Emily was concerned? That was a hefty question she wasn't really prepared to address during such a casual encounter as this one. "My name is Emily. I frequented Hogsmeade alone pretty often when I was in school. Was a bit of a wreck. Didn't ever bother to condition my hair, didn't color it, wore baggy clothes, always had my nose in a book." She laughed, big smile lingering for just a second before she continued. "Ringing any bells? I think I recognize you. Tell me your name?"