He had to bite back a snort— well, shit, didn’t that encapsulate so much of what he was feeling?— but that was probably a great way to offend her, so he added a hasty apology. “Sorry, I just…” They were both hilariously pink now. Seamus knew for a fact that he looked a bit ridiculous when he blushed, but Susan looked even worse. It was the hair, probably— whatever the reason, though, it was charming.
If it was the sort of restaurant that needed a reservation, he was already a little out of his depth. As far as he was aware, at every restaurant he’d been to, he’d just shown up and waited. And usually he’d gone to those places with Dean, or his mum, or somebody. Not like this. He wondered, for a terrifying second, if it was one of those really nice places, with the miniscule serving sizes and French food names. Fortunately, Susan answered that a second later— pasta and pizza.
Seamus could work with that. He was not, thank God, going to embarrass himself by not knowing how to eat bouillabaisse or whatever.
He could wear a costume— that was a joke, obviously— he grinned a little. “I’m sure I’ve got some Halloween stuff still,” he said, “I could dress up as a Kenmare Kestrel. Or Auror.” That last bit, he regretted saying— he still couldn’t help the edge in his tone when he said Auror, ever— not bitter, surely, but not especially happy. He was grateful when she changed the subject, though all it really did was remind him that, holy Mary, he was out of his depth here.
“Six-thirty,” he echoed. “Pick you up. Yeah. I don’t have your address.” God, was he supposed to buy her something? Other than dinner? Shit, did he have to pay for dinner? She’d asked him out, that seemed unfair— but he wasn’t about to let her pay for him. He would figure it out later, though— “I’d love to meet Lola,” he said.
The bell over the door rang, shocked him out of his stupid staring; “Shit,” he said, snapping himself away from the bar. “I have… a job.” Which he did, but he stayed put, rocking on his heels. “Six thirty,” he said again, like an idiot, and grinned. “I’ll see you then, then!”
And then he cringed. Then, then. That had been horrible. He got his rag back out, gave her one more grin. It felt like planning the logistics of their next meeting was end-of-conversation stuff, so he cleared his throat, awkward. “So…”